Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay not working from iPad to AppleTV

Hi,

So for the past few days I have been trying to get airplay to play videos from my iPad but it just gets stuck on the loading circle.

Ipad is Ios9.2.1 , I don't know what the apple tv version is.

The strange thing is that with no change in settings, the airplay used to work last week with no problems sending video from the youtube app and from plex and from google chrome.

Now both plex and videos from google chrome app just stay constantly loading. the youtube app works with the airplay but nothing else.

Mirror mode works but then I can't get the video full screen.

Internet speed is not a problem, and interference shouldn't be a problem as I have tried switching everything else off apart from the apple tv, router, and iPad and it still doesn't work.

Anyone able to shed some light on this problem?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 1:40 AM

13 replies

Apr 23, 2016 2:39 AM in response to chob8

After you start playing, turn AirPlay briefly off and on on the iPad. This has worked for me.

Please check your ATV version, and report it here. This Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support should help.

If it's ATV 4, go into the settings and check the software version. We first experienced this phenom with tvOS 9.2. You may have updated your ATV software recently, triggering the problem.

If this fixes it, you should report it at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ The more reports, the better.

Apr 23, 2016 5:41 AM in response to chob8

The fact mirror mode works, which is the most taxing mode network wise, makes me suspect the iPad.

I would force quit all background apps by double clicking the iPads home button and then swiping up until no apps are left.

I would then do a reboot by pressing and holding the home and power buttons until the Apple icon appears.

FInally verify your iPad software is up to date at 9.3.1 not 9.2.1 as in your post.

After all this, do a restart of the ATV so everybody starts with a fresh mind: How to restart your Apple TV - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2016 6:13 AM in response to Vinceassociate

I have tried closing all other apps and rebooting the iPad. Still no change.

I am updating the iPad, and will try again after updating the iPad and see if this solves it.

Thanks for the link to restart the ATV. I thought I had been switching it off before, however, it seems I may not have been and had only been putting it to sleep.

Apr 23, 2016 7:11 AM in response to chob8

All good advice above.

You did try hitting Play after toggling AirPlay? Some videos do come up stopped, and need Play to make them go.

Remember that normal AirPlay, not mirroring, actually sends the stream identifier to ATV, which connects to the server and performs the download itself. You confirmed that downloading was occurring; it just wouldn't play. You said that you can AirPlay from the YouTube app on iPad, so some videos work.

Perhaps the other videos require a codec not available in your oldish ATV. Is it possible to perform a software update on your ATV? See About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates - Apple Support for info.

Apr 25, 2016 3:26 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks everyone for the advice.

After updating the IOS there has still been no change. According to the link by Diana.McCall ATV is on the latest update already. The ATV is connected via ethernet cable to the router, and internet speeds have not dropped.

Yes I had tried pressing play after toggling the airplay.

I understand that normal airplay actually sends the identifier to the ATV to download it itself which makes it all the more confusing that it is not working.

With regards to requiring a codec not available on the oldish ATV, this should not be the case, as previously the exact same videos have worked (same source, same video) It has been when trying to access the same videos again to put on airplay as well as other videos from similar sources these past few days has it not been working.

Upon thinking what may have caused the sudden change, I think it may have been because of interference from multiple devices trying to connect to airplay at the same time last week. However, I would assume that having restarted the devices this and stopped airplay on all but 1 device would have already stopped this being a case of the issue carrying on, is this correct?

Apr 25, 2016 3:48 AM in response to chob8

Hello chob8,

There's nothing new in your TV connection, is there? You might try reconnecting the HDMI cable at both ends. I wonder if ATV senses some problem with HDCP that's preventing playback.

I believe you said that you can use the YouTube app on iPad, and AirPlay to ATV with no problem. You should be able to do the same with Vimeo in a browser, just as a test. These videos are not copy-protected. If other videos won't play, it does sound like an HDCP issue. Is your TV directly connected over HDMI?

I don't know when your ATV software was updated, bur the current version might have implemented tighter control on HDCP that's catching you out.

Ah, checking wikipedia, 6.2.1 was released Sept. 2014, so it's not new. Therefor, no sudden change to software, unless you only just updated.

Apr 25, 2016 5:04 AM in response to Diana.McCall

The TV and ATV are directly connected by a HDMI cable.

Although I have occasionally unplugged the HDMI cable from the ATV and plugged in my Macbook if that is what you mean.

I have replugged it back into the ATV and other features don't seem to be having issues.

I will also have a go at just replugging it in on both ends.

The vimeo in a browser is what is having an issue being played back over airplay. only the airplay via the youtube app itself seems to work as well as mirroring.

I will try a reset later as suggested by vinceassociate to see if that helps.

again thanks very much for the help

Apr 25, 2016 5:37 AM in response to chob8

Hello chob8,

Regarding the HDMI connection, I just wanted to confirm that weren't using some sort of adapter to connect to a non-HDMI set. Those can break the custody chain important to HDCP. I don't get it...

Note that Vinceassociate reccommends a full restore, not reset. Restore actually reloads the software from Apple. At least, if you do this, it will eliminate software corruption from the equation

Apr 25, 2016 6:42 AM in response to chob8

Please read the link I posted carefully and follow the instructions exactly to Restore your ATV.

The ATV like other electronics today have rewritable memory chips to store the fundamental operating system they run on. While this is great because it allows the system to be updated, the fact it is rewritable allows it to be corrupted by voltage spikes, drops, static, etc. A computer does exactly as it is told so when the instructions get garbled, it follows them without question. This results in odd or unexpected behavior.

Restoring your ATV will erase and completely reload all the system software from Apple. It will act like the day you bought it. You will need to go through setup again. This will eliminate any possible garbled code and hopefully resolve your issue.

May 3, 2016 6:21 AM in response to chob8

When you say some video links do not work, what do you mean?

If you see the progress bar on the TV indicating that the video is downloading, but not playing, you could try my trick of briefly turning AirPlay off and on again on the iPad, while the video is not playing on ATV. And, of course, hit Play in case the video comes up stopped, as some seem to do. This has worked on ATV 4, but it might help on yours as well.

Airplay not working from iPad to AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.