Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail software - recovering a single Mail folder from Time Machine?

Hi, recently I accidentally deleted a folder in Mail software and seemingly lost all the contents as well as the folder itself. Can I retrieve a single Mail folder from Time Machine, and if so, please can anyone tell me how?

Thank you.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:39 PM

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mail/V2. Enter Time Machine and restore the deleted folder.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 12:39 PM in response to McBrain

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mail/V2. Enter Time Machine and restore the deleted folder.

Apr 30, 2016 12:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, how are you?

Thanks for your help. I got as far into your instructions as selecting Library > Mail > V2, and then “Enter Time Machine”. I identified the Mail folder to be restored, but don’t know how to restore it. I clicked on it, and it opened, showing two items: (1) A folder with a very long name of seemingly random letters and numbers, (2) a file named “info,plist”.

Can you please advise me from there?

As an aside, I have two other questions. I’m curious as to why in the Time Machine date scrolling thing on the right of the screen, there are multiple items for “Today”, even though the last time I did any back-ups was last night soon before midnight. Why would that be?

Secondly, related to folders seemingly named with a series of very long letters and numbers, I use Nikon “ViewNX 2” software and I have often noticed that an unknown folder is always shown (see attachment), which I cannot see in Finder. The folder’s name seems to change over time. Any ideas what it is?

Thank you very much – and sorry for so many questions.

Cheers!

User uploaded file

May 9, 2016 10:26 AM in response to McBrain

You are welcome. Are you able to enter Time Machine using the Time Machine application (just checking)? Is there a Restore button that appears after selecting the folder?

While in Time Machine, to see all mounted volumes shift - command - c. Information learned from Linc Davis.

The second item down in your screen shot appears to be a Time Machine hard drive.

May 2, 2016 3:25 AM in response to Eric Root

McBrain and Eric,

Via an external drive, I use Time Machine (TM) on my iMac but thus far have fortunately never needed to use it in earnest. I've played around with it a little, though, and myself have wondered from time to time how it'd be possible to restore just a single file or group of files.

Okay, so let's take a general case. You open Finder, start TM and then pick (if it's amongst the dateline at far right) the date/time from which you want to restore. Then on the big bar at screen bottom you click Restore. This presumably then gives you the state of the machine that you require. But then what do you do if and when you've found from it the file/folder you're after? You presumably wouldn't want to then stay in the historic state you're in; you'd want to go back again to the state the machine was in just before you did the restore. But clearly doing that would simply undo the file retrieval just performed.

So, is the only way of dealing with this to take the retrieved file/folder and temporarily copy it to a non-TM drive of some sort, eg. a USB memory stick, and then, once back in 'today's' state, copy the file off the non-TM drive to wherever you want it to be on the machine?

Something else I've puzzled over is whether TM only ever restores the slice of the hard drive's contents that you select and see in the selected front TM window, or whether instead TM restores the entire contents of the hard drive (or the whole of the OSX partition, if the hard drive's been partitioned). In other words, does TM give you each time a backup of the the whole of the OSX partition? My gut feeling is that it has to be the latter, as the user will in theory need to restore anything from a single file to a complete state, from within the OSX partition. I've never found any publication on TM that's ever explained this.

May 2, 2016 9:03 AM in response to carefulowner

Based on my past experience with Time Machine, once I hit restore, the application quits, returns me to Finder, and then displays a box that shows it is restoring the file. It only restores what I have selected. Time Machine is capable of restoring the entire computer set up, but you have to be booted into the Recovery Partition to do that.

May 2, 2016 10:12 AM in response to Eric Root

Suppose it's an app or utility that you want to get rid of from your machine, rather than something that you want to restore. Can you also use TM for that? That's to say, in my asking whether TM could restore a whole partition to a previous state I was also wondering whether you could simply fold back the entire partition to a previous time when you didn't have the unwanted app or utility and so get rid of the app or utility (and its extraneous Library, etc files) by that. If that can work, then it'd be an ideal means to cleanly restore your OSX partition following, say, a viral infection or some other disaster where unknown files got sprayed all over the partition.

May 3, 2016 10:45 AM in response to carefulowner

TM could restore a whole partition to a previous state

Time Machine can do that if booted into the Recovery Partition. Your last sentence is a good example of when to use it. One thing to note is that you will not have all the files created since the date of the backup you restored. Once restored, you can reboot, enter Time Machine and restore those files if you want.

May 9, 2016 10:43 AM in response to McBrain

Thank you very much, Eric! Problem solved!

To summarise (for the benefit of others with this problem), I did the following:

1. Make 2 Time Machine back-ups (on 2 separate drives).
  2. Open Finder and select the "home" folder.
  3. From the “View” tab at the top, click onto “Show View”.
  4. When the “View” options window opens, check (tick) “Show Library Folder” (in my case, this was already ticked).
  5. Close the “View” options window.
  6. In the Finder window, select “Library”.
  7. Then select “Mail”.
  8. Then select “V2”.
  9. Then select “Mailboxes”.
  10. Click on “Enter Time Machine” in the toolbar at the top of the screen (or use the Time Machine icon at the bottom of the screen).
  11. Then select the date from the “missing” folder’s last back-up (in my case, two days before I accidentally deleted the folder).
  12. The “missing” Mail folder is now showing in the Finder window in the middle of the Time Machine screen >>> Click on it.
  13. Then click on "Restore” at the bottom of the screen.
  14. Time Machine quits, and automatically the “missing” Mail folder is then, as if by magic, recreated in Finder’s “Mailboxes” folder (complete with a sound effect – “ping”!)
  15. Open Mail software – the folder is there (in my case, I have so many Mail folders (Mailboxes), I had to look for it, at the end of the column of folders, and then drag it back up to its usual place).
  16. Drink tea and celebrate!

🙂

Mail software - recovering a single Mail folder from Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.