Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable internet access for one computer on a LAN?

I have two Mid 2012 Mac Pros connected by an Airport Extreme. I would like one of them (on which I edit video projects) to remain on my LAN, but off the internet to protect it better from trojans, viruses, etc..

Does anyone know the step-by-step procedure to set that up? One computer is on OS X 10.11.3, the one I'd like to keep off the internet is running 10.8.5

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 10:31 AM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2016 12:36 PM in response to MacProUser9

Yes, you use AirPort Utility. It should ( I do not have a AirPort router but all the other routers I have had has the capability to have internet access restricted to a schedule which you define. it may be under parental controls or similar since it is typically used to restrict internet access to kid's devices.

You enter in the Airport utility settings the MAC address of the devices you want to restrict. If you go to Network Preferences>Ethernet>Advanced>Hardware the MAC address is listed. Yu have to use the MAC address for the Ethernet port that is connect to your network. The Mac Pro has two Ethernet ports and MAC addresses.

Apr 23, 2016 1:02 PM in response to lllaass

Another way to do this is to Manually provide an IP Address in the correct range (so as to be reachable back and forth from the other computer) but make sure the Router address provided remains BLANK.

That way, it can talk directly to the other machine, but when there is Internet traffic, it has no Router to act as its agent on the Internet.

Apr 23, 2016 6:12 PM in response to MacProUser9

To be quite honest, what you're trying to do doesn't make any sense, but that wasn't the question. The only way to allow access to the local network while denying access to the Internet is to use the built-in packet filter. It has no user interface and is very difficult to configure. Your only realistic chance of using it is to install a third-party front end. I don't have a specific recommendation. You would have to search for terms such as "ipfw firewall" and "OS X." As always with third-party software, research it carefully before trusting it.

Apr 23, 2016 6:29 PM in response to MacProUser9

If you are going to setup a manual IP address, you will need to provide an IP address for the router field. But you want to provide an address that is not assigned to any devices in your LAN, and it should be outside the Airport Extreme's DHCP address range so that nothing gets accidentally assigned to that IP address in the future.

System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP

User uploaded file

This does work. I tried it on my Macbook Pro. I was able to access other system in my home LAN, but I could not access anything outside my LAN.

How do I disable internet access for one computer on a LAN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.