Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Apple Magic Keyboard, no ctrl alt del

Hi all

I have an older MacBook Pro (2011) and recently I've build a small home office area where I connect my laptop to a bigger screen and uses the Apple Magic Mouse as well as the new Magic Keyboard.

In OS X everything works as expected but when I have to boot into Windows using boot camp the external keyboard doesn't work properly.

It doesn't change the backspace key to a delete key once fn is pressed. That much I'm already sure of since I tried a keycode scanner.

When I finally get past the logon screen using some workaround with the on-screen keyboard, I've noticed that none of the special keys like volume up/down or brightness works - it's just plain F-keys.

I've reinstalled Windows and asked boot camp to download latest support drivers and it's still the same issue.

Have any of you experienced the same behavior or is there perhaps somebody here with a solution?

Thanks

-Kim

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 12:18 PM

7 replies

Apr 24, 2016 12:10 PM in response to Loner T

Checked the Boot Camp control panel. The Keyboard Settings does NOT have the checkbox enabled for "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".

Fn-Ctrl-Alt-Delete (as well as Ctrl-Alt-Del (or I should probably say Apple's normal backspace) works from the build-in keyboard on the MacBook, but not from the external one.

Looking in Device Manager there's only one "Apple Keyboard" present in "Human Interface Devices".

External Apple Magic Keyboard, no ctrl alt del

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.