Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Movie 9.0.4 work with El Capitan?

New iMac upgraded to El Capitan OS 10.11.4. 24GB of RAM. 1TB hard drive. Will iMovie 9.04 work better than the 10.1.1 version loaded onto my computer?

I have over 150 Projects developed with iMovie 8.0.6 on my earlier iMac with OS 10.6.8. I need those available to me, along with thousands of Events.

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 2:59 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2016 4:07 PM in response to koeller

iMovie 10.1.1 is the only version of iMovie fully compatible with El Capitan. Version 9.x.x exhibits several problems with ElCapitan including photos turning green or black, sometimes upside down, video clips showing black in event viewer, export problems etc.In general it is not compatible. As to your 8.0.6 projects, 10.1.1 will not update them reliabley. There have been some who say they will update but I haven't seen any post claiming good results. If you still have your old computer with 8.0.6 that is your best bet for editing your old projects. By the way the only way to get version 9 is to buy the iLife DVD from a third party like Amazon. Not good news I'm afraid. Your best bet is to stick with 10.1.1.

Apr 29, 2016 6:57 PM in response to koeller

Agreed with Jim. I was using El Capitan with iMovie 9 last night and everything was going along fine until I tried to add a jpeg photo to my timeline. It showed up on the timeline but the video monitor did not show it. I spent about two hours trying to figure out a fix until I called apple and was given the bad news. So I immediately updated to iMovie 10 and now my jpegs show up.

Only trouble is now I have to learn all the ins and outs of iMovie 10, which is taking some time. Ugh.

Does Movie 9.0.4 work with El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.