Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod shuffle generation drivers?

I am trying to help someone with a ipod shuffle generation 1. They have the apple software installed and when it try's to update the drivers it says they need to buy them? Doesn't make sense to me though I am not familiar with it. She needs it for her mother than is in the nursing home and would like some of her music.

thanks Bruce

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 5:25 PM

There is no need to buy any additional software to use an iPod. The software that is needed is iTunes, and it's a free download. It supplies the necessary "drivers." Is the computer being used a Mac or Windows PC? If Windows, what version?

Go here to download the appropriate version of iTunes.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

After running the installer, run iTunes and connect the shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer. The shuffle appears as a small device button on the horizontal bar that goes across the iTunes window. Here's a screenshot of my shuffle's device button on the iTunes window (upper left corner), circled in red.

User uploaded file

Click the device button to show the shuffle's settings screen in iTunes window. Hopefully, you can get to that point. I can provide more info about syncing songs to the shuffle, once you get it to appear in iTunes. If the shuffle does not appear in iTunes, please post back with more details about your situation.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2016 5:25 PM in response to brucefl

There is no need to buy any additional software to use an iPod. The software that is needed is iTunes, and it's a free download. It supplies the necessary "drivers." Is the computer being used a Mac or Windows PC? If Windows, what version?

Go here to download the appropriate version of iTunes.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

After running the installer, run iTunes and connect the shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer. The shuffle appears as a small device button on the horizontal bar that goes across the iTunes window. Here's a screenshot of my shuffle's device button on the iTunes window (upper left corner), circled in red.

User uploaded file

Click the device button to show the shuffle's settings screen in iTunes window. Hopefully, you can get to that point. I can provide more info about syncing songs to the shuffle, once you get it to appear in iTunes. If the shuffle does not appear in iTunes, please post back with more details about your situation.

Ipod shuffle generation drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.