Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won't connect to Apple TV, iPhone will.

Hi,

I have used airplay with my iphone and 2013 MBP for a while now. Suddenly, the Mac can't connect to Apple TV.

-Mac software updated

-Mac Shutdown

-Mac Restarted

-Apple TV unplugged

-Apple TV put to sleep

-Apple TV updated

-Apple TV restored

Airplay works perfectly on iphone. On my Mac I can see the apple tv in my network (option to connect to Apple TV) but when I click the connect button my macbook pro freezes for a second then says "can't connect to apple TV"

Any solutions out there?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 3:31 PM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2016 5:06 PM in response to funkinjunk

What version is your ATV? What software does it have?

Be sure that airplay is enabled on ATV and that there are no restrictive security settings. Your symptom really sounds like ATV is specifically rejecting the computer.

I assume you have power cycled ATV after the last update or restore. It cannot hurt to review the settings, since loading system software sometimes scrambles them.

Are you able to AirPlay video from iPhone, e.g. YouTube, or only music?

Are all devices and computer on the same wifi? Or are some of the connections wired?

Macbook Pro won't connect to Apple TV, iPhone will.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.