Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhoto Upgrader

MacBook Pro OS X, 10.9.5, iPhoto version 9.5

My laptop crashed and I got a new hard drive installed. I downloaded my iPhoto photos from Mozy.com back up service, onto a flash drive. I plugged flash drive in to look at pictures, got error that iPhoto Updater was required. Downloaded IPhoto Updater. Now the iPhoto on laptop won't open like it used to. Continues to give me error message that library needs to be upgraded. When I click on Upgrade, iPhoto closes. I also tried to "choose library" from the iPhoto on Updater and the iPhoto Library on the hard drive gives message that my library can open with the current version and does not need to be prepared with the tool. When I tried to "choose library of the flash drive, it was grayed out, not able to select. Any help would be appreciated. I have never posted anywhere before so I hope this makes sense. Mindy

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 2:42 PM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2016 2:55 PM in response to Mindy263

Which iPhoto version created the iPhoto Library? You need only the iPhoto Library upgrader, if the library has been created by iPhoto 7.1.2 or an older version of iPhoto. Did you run iPhoto 7.1.2 or older before the crash?

Continues to give me error message that library needs to be upgraded

What is the exact error message, literally?

Apr 23, 2016 3:07 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for replying. The exact message I get when clicking on iPhoto on my laptop to open is "The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto. Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete." I do not know the previous version. I have had my laptop since 2010, I believe. Thank you.

Apr 23, 2016 3:23 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for the information. I have two choices on the message. One is "quit" and the other is "upgrade" which is highlighted blue. When I click on Upgrade the application closes. When I click on "Quit" it also closes. It does not open now. Only that message comes up. I'm sorry if I do not understand your direction.

IPhoto Upgrader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.