Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"because a usb device is drawing too much power"

I realize that this issue has come up several times over the years but I can't seem to find the definitive answer ... if there IS one!

Using a PowerMac desktop computer and getting the error message sporadically. Doesn't seem to have much to do with what is or isn't plugged in USB-wise. It's just become a huge nuisance to have the error message window (sometimes 5 or 6 in rapid succession) pop up and take over my screen.

Can anyone help?

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.7.5), 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 8:01 AM

You could try getting a powered USB hub so the computer wouldn't be the power supply.

27 replies

Apr 24, 2016 1:57 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Hi,

I would also open System Profiler and check the Hardware > USB section.

You may find you can determine which external sockets are connected to which controllers.

User uploaded file

Not all external Ports lead to the same Controller.

That controller is likely to be handling both External and Internal devices like the Blue Tooth or Internal camera if your PowerMac has one.

You may also see the Keyboard as the the two ports there if you have anything plugged into them.

The "drain" so to speak may not be just External ones although unpowered ones can make the difference.

It might be a symptom of the Controller breaking down.

User uploaded file

9:57 pm Sunday; April 24, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

May 6, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you both for suggestions.

And, as quickly as a flurry of the error messages started popping up, they disappeared again.

Honestly, I don't think it has much to do with power supply issues at all since I've not recogfigured peripherals in something like 5 years and, sometimes I get the message and sometimes I don't. Seems to come in waves then disappears again.

I once read that it might be a corrupted file but now can't find that thread.

???

May 6, 2016 1:16 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Hi,

I am not aware that any one file or .plist holds this info but it is a possibility.

Reset the PRAM How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support (it is called NVRAM on Intel chip computers but the keystrokes are the same).

User uploaded file

9:16 pm Friday; May 6, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

May 27, 2016 9:12 AM in response to KatieOConnell

Gentlemen -

I've not checked in because the problem once again "mysteriously" disappeared. 😕

Now, it is back again.

@Lanny: I've been using Lion 10.7.5 for well over 3 years with no problems. Please elaborate on your statement that PowerMacs can't (shouldn't?) run Lion.

@Ralph Johns: Below is a screen shot of USB information. As you can see, not much is there. And I don't really know how to interpret the information anyway! 😟 If the Controller is breaking down, is this fixable? Are there any tests that I can run or utilities that might shed light on the subject.

As always, thanks to all for your input.

User uploaded file

May 27, 2016 9:27 AM in response to KatieOConnell

Power Macs don't use Intel CPUs, Lion only runs on Macs with Intel CPUs.

You may be confusing Power Macs with Mac Pros, some of them may look externally similar, but they are not the same.

You don't have a Power Mac, if you're using Lion, you have a Mac Pro and have been just using the wrong name for it.

The last Power Mac was introduced in early 2005.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 27, 2016 12:42 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Hi,

That does not list an Camera which would suggest a Mac Pro (big Desktop Mac commonly referred to as Towers).

Only the Mac Mini and Mac Pro do not have cameras.

The Display though does have a Camera. (iSight, which might suggest the display is somewhat older)

Each Line in the top right box of your pic will reveal other info (If anything is connected) in the bottom right hand box.

This one hub controls an External Port which has the External Hub and in turn the iPhone and a USB Mouse - then a second External Port with my Logitech AK5370 external Mic followed by the internal connection to the Blue Tooth (BRCM2046 Hub) and then the Blue Tooth device itself.

User uploaded file

There may be some name changes as USB 2.0 was at one time "Highspeed" and now you can also get USB 3

AS some of yours don't appear to list anything I guess you have USB ports on the back and front of the tower that don't have anything plugged in to them.

This one from my G4 (PowerMac) computer has this

User uploaded file

The Hi Speed here is USB 2.0 that is added be PCI card (Expansion Slot) which then has a camera plugged in.

My Older Studio Display also has USB ports in the back but there is less plugged in now than when it was my main computer.

From there:-

User uploaded file

In some cases they may not tally.

In some cases you may have to add up the figures for the devices attached.

User uploaded file

8:42 pm Friday; May 27, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

May 27, 2016 1:52 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Hi,

Add them.

User uploaded file

From the same hub you have the two you have Highlighted.

One uses all the 500mA and the keyboard uses another 20mA

Pat of that is because the Display has some of the items connected to the "base" hub for USB and the power is probably not coming via that hub itself.
The Display is effectively a powered hub in itself.

the Keyboard is not and is only USB 1.1 (Note the speeds).

Do the Display Audio and Camera exceed the 500mA listed ?
And what does the Display item itself say ?

Is there a Printer in all of this ?

It is late where I am and it will be a while before I post again.

User uploaded file

9:52 pm Friday; May 27, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

May 28, 2016 10:04 AM in response to KatieOConnell

Technically, you should have a full backup of your current system, preferably a cloned backup, before upgrading an OS X. If you had such a backup, there would be no risk in trying out an upgrade, i.e., El Capitan, as Mavericks is no longer available (unless previously downloaded).

If you don't have a full backup, you're taking unnecessary risks with your data.

"because a usb device is drawing too much power"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.