Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer wont detect iPod

Hello,

I'm having a slight issue in that my iPod is not being detected by my computer. I have tried both USB ports and restarted my computer, neither of those things has worked, iTunes is on the most recent version as is my OS.

The iPod is a 512MB 1st gen shuffle if that helps any.

Thanks,

Cameron

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 6:59 PM

8 replies

Apr 24, 2016 6:23 PM in response to Minerelf

I plug the shuffle in the light is a solid green for a second then goes to flashing amber.

That's good. The flashing light means there's a data connection between Mac and shuffle. If the iPod does not appear in iTunes when connected, there's a special utility for 1st and 2nd gen shuffle, that does the equivalent of a Restore in iTunes (when doing an Restore in iTunes is not possible). This erases the shuffle, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings Download and run this utility, and connect your shuffle.

iPod Reset Utility 1.0.3 for Mac

Apr 30, 2016 4:38 PM in response to Minerelf

When you connect the shuffle and its light starts blinking, run Disk Utility. iTunes (and the iPod Reset Utility) should not be running. Does the iPod appear in the Disk Utility sidebar? If it does, you can try reformatting (erasing) the shuffle using Disk Utility, which needs to be done in a particular way. What version of OS X do you run on your Mac? I ask, because a redesigned Disk Utility was released with El Capitan, and it works differently from previous versions.

May 4, 2016 5:33 PM in response to Minerelf

Since you cannot get the shuffle to appear on the Mac in any capacity, it may be faulty and not making proper contact for data.

One more thing you can try, if your Mac is a more recent model that has USB 3.0 ports AND you happen to own an older USB 2.0 hub. The USB hub needs to be self-powered, meaning it has its own power supply that plugs into a power outlet. Connect the hub to the Mac and connect the shuffle to the hub. See if that makes a difference in the shuffle connecting, starting back with iTunes, then the Reset Utility, and then Disk Utility (in that order).

Computer wont detect iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.