Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find or retrieve a folder in Photo 9.6?

My "Family" folder has disappeared. It seems to be the only folder that's gone, though it looks like maybe a few others are out of order. I'm not sure. Boy, I'd sure hate to have to search 10,500 photos to gather them all together again. Any idea how I can find or retrieve the folder? When I "Search" I get some of the events, some non-family photos, and some groups (events maybe?).

Thank you so much.

Kate

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 6:30 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2016 11:06 PM in response to katetx2001

The simple and straightforward solution is to restore from your back up.

Failing that:

Option 1

Back Up FIRST and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Apr 24, 2016 12:25 AM in response to katetx2001

My "Family" folder has disappeared. It seems to be the only folder that's gone,

Is it a folder with albums? You may have accidentally dragged that folder in to a different folder. Click all folders in your library, one by one, and look inside, if you are seeing the "Family" folder nested in another folder. Then drag it back.

Sometimes the complete list of folders gets hidden, if we trigger accidentally the hidden Show/Hide button to the right of the title "Albums". This button can be revealed by hovering the pointer there.

User uploaded file

How do I find or retrieve a folder in Photo 9.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.