Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What security software available runs on OS10.4?

I have a iMac G5, 1.7Mhz, 17" that quit working when it turned a young age of 10 Years old. Now, 19 months later, I got it working again and would like to get security software to take it on the internet again. I almost bought Kapersky but they say there package only works with OS10.9 and above. MaAffee site is in loopback and I cannot contact them. I cannot reach LegacyMac for some reason. Anybody have a similar machine with a good security product?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10), G5 iMac 1.7Mhz 17"

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 6:58 PM

All those AV programs do no good and can do a lot of harm. Run nothing use OS X built-in protection and common sense when you browse.

4 replies

Apr 28, 2016 2:32 PM in response to Guy without a Manual

For safe browsing an updated browser is the main answer; for PowerPC G3/G4/G5 computers

about the only one now being updated regularly is TenFourFox. This browser also does not use

the Flash player for animations, that is not necessary for many sites or for youtube. HTML5 is.

So that's better than trying to use very outdated Safari or ancient Firefox, SeaMonkey, & others

that are not being updated for vintage-obsolete PowerPC Macs.

• TenFourFox: a fork of Mozilla Firefox ESR 38 for Power Macintosh, Mac OS X 10.4.11 & 10.5.8 PPC:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

There are a few add-ons expressly for this browser, see links in their main site.

{About manuals... look for older copies of 'Missing Manuals by David Pogue' at

second hand or thrift stores, some great titles for Mac & OS X may exist, there.}

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

What security software available runs on OS10.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.