Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks hasn't worked since last iOS 9 update...why?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 9:21 PM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2016 12:41 AM in response to bdubblut

Without any information it's impossible to help. What do you mean by 'hasn't worked' (does the app not open, you can't open books in the app, books don't download from the store, ... ?), and what have you tried to see if it fixes it (e.g. closing the app via the phone's taskbar, soft-reset/reboot of the phone, backing up and copying purchases over to your computer's iTunes library and restoring to the backup) ?

Apr 25, 2016 5:08 PM in response to King_Penguin

All of the above.

Sorry.

My mistake.

I thought the implication was clear so I will try to do better, if there is a next time.

That being said...

I and some very kind souls worked and saved and sacrificed very much and very hard and very long to allow this utility, the iPad, to happen in my life.

Utilities usually don't break without a proper answer, especially after the above trouble shooting, service calls and mechanics as you mentioned, are observed.

I observed.

( It is a tad counter intuitive that another utility, customer service or support, as it is referred to here in this Apple community, can be labeled a self help procedure and yet be disguised as part of the purchase cost in the original transaction.)

I am fortunate this iPad is not a driverless 'car', though in a way, if the knowledge contained within it, the iPad, is truly a locomotive force, as I have come to understand it, then something else is broken. The implied promise of said utility, the iPad as well.

Apr 26, 2016 12:05 AM in response to bdubblut

I'm still not clear what the problem with the app is, is it that you can't actually open the app at all ? Or that it opens but then amends, or you can't open or download books in it ? As well as trying what I suggested, you've also tried copying your content off the iPad, resetting the iPad back to factory defaults, and just syncing content back to it (not restoring to a backup) ?

May 13, 2016 1:43 PM in response to King_Penguin

I Have the same problem. I go into books on my iPad it loads up then kicks me out after about a minute.I can read my kindle books and kobo but not iBooks on my iPad although I can read them on my newly acquired iPhone ( with a magnifying glass) tried reboot,recync whatever it's called....another afternoon wasted as it made no differance except that I had to look up all my passwords

i gather is a problem with a lot of people's iBooks.

I Solved it in the previous " update " by turning into airplane mode or whatever but then they decided to do another upgrade to prevent even that!

May 14, 2016 5:20 AM in response to Jinglejoys

Same kind of problem. On my last iPad mini2 I could plug i in to itunes on a Macbook Pro osx10.9. I could click on On My Device in iTunes, click on Books and then drag any pdf in to that Books list and in seconds it showed up in iBooks on the iPad. I've lost that functionality with 9.3.1 on a new iPad mini. I was able to move about 5 PDFs through the laborious method of moving the PDFs in to iBooks on the laptop then syncing the ipad with the laptop, then the PDFs would show up in ibooks on the ipad. That only worked the one time. I can sometimes get the PDFs to show up in Books in On My Device but they have circles in front of them which mean ????? When I try to sync I get a message: cannot sync x items, refer to itunes. I tunes then tells me nothing about anything.

I just spent six months assembling a reference library for a dedicated iPad to be used in the field. Unfortunately I left that ipad on a plane with about zip chance of recovery and now in replacing the ipad I find it is not even possible to move copies of pdfs on to the new ipad.

Excuse the sarcasm but I assume I have to buy something now from itunes to make it work again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.