Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to re-number chapters

In my iBook I want to re-number my chapter using iBooks author. "Help" says that this can be done with the layout-inspector.

Unfortunately I can´t see the numbering tab.

In the picture below I changed the chapter-# manually, but in the row on the left chapter-# is set automatically (I don´t know why it is set to "10"). And see that in the inspector no "numbering tab" is shown.

Weher is my fault? Thanks for any help

Andy

User uploaded file

iBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), iBooks author

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 1:09 PM

On the left side you'll see the chapters. Grab and move the chapter to be renumbered where you want it to be in the list of chapters on the left and it will be renumbered automaticly

6 replies

Apr 28, 2016 7:00 AM in response to Andreas Lauber

So, If I understand you right. You are creating A Great Book with all your other books within. Correct?

If this is the case you'll probably have to use sections under each book for your chapters.

eg...

Chapter 1 Book Title

Section chapter 1

pages 1-13

Section Chapter 2

pages 1-10

Chapter 2 Book Title

Section chapter 1

pages 1-20

Section chapter 2

and so on.

I'm wanting to do the same with a book but just have'nt tried it yet.

Apr 28, 2016 12:37 PM in response to GuyPicks

Hij GuyPicks,

not yet, I planned it in this way:

It´s a book consisting of f.e. 7 separate iBooks. Virtual title of the book (f.e.): "How to bake a cake?"

iBook1 contains Chapter 1: "Plan the typ of cake"

iBook2 contains Chapter 2: "How to buy the ingredients?"

iBook3 contains Chapter 3: "How to mix the paste?"

iBook4 contains Chapter 4: "How to prepare the baking-oven?"

iBook5 contains Chapter 5: "How to bake the cake?"

iBook6 contains Chapter 6: "How to prepare yourself and your guest to eat the cake?"

iBook7 contains Chapter 7: "How to do a quality control of your cake?"

I can´t write alle these chapters within one single book because every chapter is very big and iBooks store would´t accept such a big single book. So I habe to write it in 7 separate chapters and to tell the reader that he will have the whole book content in 7 separate chapters. The folder in which one can collect all those separate chapters can have the name "How too bake a cake?" but it´s not a single iBook with 7 chapters and several sections.

So that´s why I want to number every single and separate iBook.

Yours

Andy

how to re-number chapters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.