Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i feel sick looking at my screen?

Anyone out there ever experienced a sense of wanting to throw up when looking at your iMac screen?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 2:58 PM

Hi Jimmy

I actually start to feel nauseous after about two minutes looking at the screen? I have taken the computer into the local Apple store and they can't find anything wrong...

This also happens when I look at other iMac screens in the store, must be something that triggers this horrible feeling?? I had to buy a PC to do my photography editing because I couldn't take the feeling of always feeling sick. I know there are other people in the world with the same problem.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 2:58 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Hi Jimmy

I actually start to feel nauseous after about two minutes looking at the screen? I have taken the computer into the local Apple store and they can't find anything wrong...

This also happens when I look at other iMac screens in the store, must be something that triggers this horrible feeling?? I had to buy a PC to do my photography editing because I couldn't take the feeling of always feeling sick. I know there are other people in the world with the same problem.

Apr 25, 2016 1:36 PM in response to Murphysinnae

Do you have a technical problem you wish help with?

And I'm typing into my 27" iMac right now, and I have been happy with this iMac for years. I use it at work, so I'm on for hours and hours every work day.

If you can describe why you are having issues with your iMac someone might be able to extend some help. Describe what is about the iMac screen and its behavior that is upsetting you. Is it the physical screen. The way some specific bit of software uses the screen. Etc...

As it is, your question is more like asking a poll question, and those are not allowed in the forums.

Apr 25, 2016 1:55 PM in response to Murphysinnae

Murphysinnae wrote:

Anyone out there ever experienced a sense of wanting to throw up when looking at your iMac screen?

Even with my Apple Studio Display - from 2002 that I am still using - I could never play the animated games that came with my first mac as after about a minute I had to go have some soda and crackers to settle my stomach. I cannot watch DVD's on this display and spent a lot of time adjusting the window while on certain web sites to hide the animation. Can't look at the wall digital TV's in stores - and the retina displays on pc's and macs same deal.

I am nearsighted for all of my adult life - and that is the reason I get queasy. Its just too much information coming in - to a brain that has learned to process information in a different manner than those who are farsighted or have perfect vision.

Apr 25, 2016 2:04 PM in response to Murphysinnae

Hi,

Like notcloudy I have been nearsighted or shortsighted since I was eleven.

That was back in the late 60s

Now my prescription has to allow for the fact that I am becoming age related long sighted as well.

For home use I actually take off my varifocal glasses as I find this is more comfortable.

I find no real difference between my LCD Studio Display from 2003 or my LCD MacBook Pro from 2006 to my current main machine iMac from 2011

User uploaded file

10:04 pm Monday; April 25, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Apr 25, 2016 2:17 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph Johns (UK) wrote:

Hi,

Like notcloudy I have been nearsighted or shortsighted since I was eleven.

That was back in the late 60s

Now my prescription has to allow for the fact that I am becoming age related long sighted as well.

For home use I actually take off my varifocal glasses as I find this is more comfortable.

I find no real difference between my LCD Studio Display from 2003 or my LCD MacBook Pro from 2006 to my current main machine iMac from 2011

User uploaded file

10:04 pm Monday; April 25, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

As my vision worsened and also required bifocals the variance was too great and I couldn't wear them - so I had the bifocals top set to about 10 feet distance - to work with monitor etc. Started wearing them to also watch TV and low and behold my distance vision improved (eye doctor was surprised).

I think the OP may have one of those Retina displays that others have complained about here. Its why I purchased the mac pro over the mini as I like the studio display and don't want to give it up.

May 1, 2016 3:05 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob

It's a feeling of nausea, like i have been on a playground carnival machine. I start to sweat and feel dizzy?? I don't suffer from epilepsy and I don't wear glasses??

I have noticed when I am in the Apple store I get the same feeling looking at other iMac screens? I just purchased the iPad Pro this past week and I have no problem.

Regards

Tony

May 2, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Murphysinnae

Sounds very unique and until further studies are done by actual peer reviewed medical establishments (READ: Peer reviewed meaning the British Medial Journal, the New England Journal of Medicine, or the U.S. National Library of Medicine and NOT someone in a coffee shop posting to WebMD because Jenny McArthy is telling America what the doctors don't want us to hear according to my junk folder.) as to why looking at a Mac makes you sick an your fine with PC can unequivocally establish this is not pyschosematic good luck with that PC and go see a doctor. We can't help with medical issues and it would be detrimental to ask us. Unless we have a member here who is psychological optometrists with a degree that didn't come in a box of cracker jacks this is not a condition we are in any position to address past this link

OS X Yosemite: Calibrate your display

May 2, 2016 8:13 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

JimmyCMPIT wrote:

Sounds very unique and until further studies are done by actual peer reviewed medical establishments (READ: Peer reviewed meaning the British Medial Journal, the New England Journal of Medicine, or the U.S. National Library of Medicine and NOT someone in a coffee shop posting to WebMD because Jenny McArthy is telling America what the doctors don't want us to hear according to my junk folder.) as to why looking at a Mac makes you sick an your fine with PC can unequivocally establish this is not pyschosematic good luck with that PC and go see a doctor. We can't help with medical issues and it would be detrimental to ask us. Unless we have a member here who is psychological optometrists with a degree that didn't come in a box of cracker jacks this is not a condition we are in any position to address past this link

OS X Yosemite: Calibrate your display

Best post I've read all day.

May 2, 2016 12:19 PM in response to Murphysinnae

Hi,

As I said above I don't have a Retina Display and have not followed what that means in hardware or performance terms.

User uploaded file

The System Preferences > Displays can be set for Resolution rather than Screen cycles (flicker rate)

Strobe lighting at about 8hz can induce Epileptic fits in some people.

Multiples of this can also be a problem.

Here in the UK some people can "See" the 50hz flicker of some fluorescent tube lighting.

My G4 comes with an Option in the Displays Screen to adjust the Refresh rate but it is grey out with n/a in the line as it is hooked up to the Apple Studio Display.

I can also set the colour to Millions, Thousands and in some case is 256 colours. (it can boot into OS 9)

The Snow Leopard version on my MacBook Pro does not have the colour choices or even the refresh rate button.

This add little info on the Refresh rate/Screen cycle front https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display which is where the most likely issue is.

I am not sure I can really contribute to this Thread that constructively.

User uploaded file

8:19 pm Monday; May 2, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

May 2, 2016 1:56 PM in response to Murphysinnae

Murphysinnae wrote:

I have had my eye's checked and I am ok. I am sure it has to do with the flicker rate, can't find a way to set it or slow it down?? I did change the setting on the screen to sRGB , didn't find it helped.

It can be the on screen definition is too sharp - to some extent life is not that sharp - also the brightness of colors depending on what you are doing.

The monitor may be tricking your perception of movement or depth. For example - on my analog TV no less -- todays broadcasts - of sports such as US football - and Hockey - camera angles from up in the stands particularly the endzone in football - makes me sick as the center of the camera shot for me will pop the picture into 3D == and never sit that high up in the stands without a seat belt.

i feel sick looking at my screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.