You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not connecting with Sony bravia KD49X8000

My Sony Bravia TV model KD49X8000 is not connecting with Apple TV model A1469 with HDMI cable , I have tried all 4 HDMI port. It used to work well with my old Sony TV , but since i brought this new TV, unable to connect with Apple TV, Can anyone tell me what do i need to do to connect my new Sony TV with Apple TV

Apple TV

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 6:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 7:40 AM

Are you using an up-to-date HDMI cable? Check for "High Speed".

Have you put the ATV resolution to automatic, or selected a format compatible with the new set?

Is your ATV software up to date?

What do you mean by "not connecting"? No picture? ATV cannot control TV?

I see that's a UHD (4K) set. There's a new HDCP scheme for 4K. You may need a 4K cable, but I don't have the details. Search for HDCP. The problem may be that the Sony isn't telling ATV that it can handle the data securely.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2016 7:40 AM in response to SmilePls

Are you using an up-to-date HDMI cable? Check for "High Speed".

Have you put the ATV resolution to automatic, or selected a format compatible with the new set?

Is your ATV software up to date?

What do you mean by "not connecting"? No picture? ATV cannot control TV?

I see that's a UHD (4K) set. There's a new HDCP scheme for 4K. You may need a 4K cable, but I don't have the details. Search for HDCP. The problem may be that the Sony isn't telling ATV that it can handle the data securely.

Apr 25, 2016 6:36 AM in response to Diana.McCall

I think i have to buy High Speed HDMI cable,...but when i plug HDMI cable which i am using now from my laptop to Sony 4k TV , it works fine, it only doesnt work when i plug into ATV.

and how to change ATV resolution to automatic, right now its on 1080/60hz

not connecting means

When attempting to use AppleTV with my SonY Bravia, I get a "No signal" warning on the TV screen, and cannot access the AppleTV on-screen menu

Apr 25, 2016 8:26 AM in response to SmilePls

nah I just use some generic hdmi cable with mine connected to my sony bravia of cause if the newer one is 4k or otherwise support fancy newer hdmi stuff maybe

but I would not pay much for a cable before I knew it worked

think first I would connect the old tv and try lowering the resolution to 720p and connect it to the new tv and see if that made a difference

Apr 25, 2016 8:42 AM in response to SmilePls

Since you get no signal from your 4K Sony TV, your ATV 3 is not sending a compatible signal. What refresh rate does your TV accept? It may be related to your country. Since you cannot see the menus, you need to connect ATV to your old set and change resolution to automatic.

If your HDMI is not marked "High Speed", it is not up to current standard, and may not give the best results with your new set. It doesn't have to be expensive, just current. I get mine from Amazon in USA for $6. But the old one should work.

Apr 26, 2016 6:35 AM in response to Diana.McCall

If you get no video from ATV, and cannot connect to another set that does display the video, this

Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV - Apple Support

describes how to use the remote to cycle through video resolutions until you get a picture. This would help if your HDMI connection is good but ATV has been set to some incompatible refresh rate or resolution.

Apple TV not connecting with Sony bravia KD49X8000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.