Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing iTunes media from External Drive Questions

I believe I know "how" to do this, but have a question about what happens if I go this route.

Background:

Set up a new iMac and put our music on an external drive. I was able to map my user account to the library using the "alt" / find library process.

Now, I've got separate accounts for my wife and two kids and want to get their iTunes set up using the same media.

Home sharing works great if computer is on and I'm logged in, but that's not great solution for us. It does seem like I can use the "alt"/find library process for each account and it should work, though I understand only one user can use the library at a given time. That shouldn't be a problem for how we use our computer.

Now, assuming the process works, my question - for those who have done this - here is my question: Can each individual user still customize their usage of iTunes to their liking? More importantly can each person customize what gets synced to their devices (phone/iPad)?

Thanks in advance as I understand how the library file that iTunes creates works with the application.

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 1:49 PM

Hey jjtrindc,

If I understand correctly, you want to know how you can use multiple iOS devices and iTunes libraries with your new iMac. The article below outlines several options, like setting up multiple user accounts, syncing specific content or creating separate iTunes libraries.

How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer - Apple Support

Also, this article provides information about moving and managing your iTunes library:

Manage and back up your iTunes media library - Apple Support

Ciao.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2016 1:49 PM in response to jjtrindc

Hey jjtrindc,

If I understand correctly, you want to know how you can use multiple iOS devices and iTunes libraries with your new iMac. The article below outlines several options, like setting up multiple user accounts, syncing specific content or creating separate iTunes libraries.

How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer - Apple Support

Also, this article provides information about moving and managing your iTunes library:

Manage and back up your iTunes media library - Apple Support

Ciao.

Apr 25, 2016 2:01 PM in response to jjtrindc

No. With the process you describe (using the option/alt key to find and use a library file) all users are using the same library file. What one user does will affect all other users. You can customize to a certain degree by having each user set up a playlist folder with their playlists inside, syncing mobile devices to playlists rather than the entire library. Still if one person adds a track, deletes it, or edits the track information (including ratings) all users will see those changes.

While using a single library is the easiest way to share media and keep up to date on additions it does have the above drawbacks.

Apr 25, 2016 7:03 PM in response to Jason L

Yes, that first link you sent is ultimately the solution I went with.

Key is iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> (iTunes Media Files Location)

I set all of the user accounts to be pointed at that location. That allows everyone to access the same music library but customize on their own. The individual library files are on the internal drive, and I could move them, but they don't take up much space, so I'm fine with that.

Apr 25, 2016 7:17 PM in response to jjtrindc

Technically speaking an iTunes "library" is everything normally located in the iTunes folder, not just media. You are only sharing media. Realize even in this situation what others do may affect all of you. If somebody renames a track it will happen to all of you. If they delete a track it will be gone for all of you. If they add a track only their library file will know about it.

Sharing iTunes media from External Drive Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.