Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening ‘System Information’ is suddenly not possible. All I can see when it’s trying to open is a continuos contraption of the dock itself (like a palpitation) as if it was trying to place its icon there (what it’s the right thing to happen) but so

Opening ‘System Information’ is suddenly not possible.

All I can see when it’s trying to open is a continuos contraption of the dock itself (like a palpitation) as if it was trying to place its icon there (what it’s the right thing to happen) but something is not letting doing it. Consequently, the program doesn’t open.

I tried also with a guest account, but to no avail. Exactly the same…

Then I tried to restore the app (System Information) from inside Time Machine, but it’s not allowed to happen because that program is been used…

Oh!, I nearly forgot: the System Information icon has become generic.

I really don’t know what else to do. But, fortunately, for the rest the mac is doing fine…

Any suggestion, someone out there? Thank you!

Noni

osX-10.9.5

iMac 27’’-2.8 GHz-i7

16 GB memory /

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iMac 27”/ 2,8 GHz IntelCore i7 /

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 11:20 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2016 11:04 AM in response to nonifer

Thanks very much, Eric, for your interest in my problem.

After considering what would involve a solution to make System Information appear again, and been convinced that the problem is possibly caused by a reinstallation of Mavericks I recently did (that caused many other headaches as well), I think I'll wait till I find myself brave enough to undergo the switch to El Capitán (or Sequoia / Redwood). It goes so much wrong doing a reinstall...

If it has been a case of throwing something away; some preferences or reinstalling an app or program, ok. But when it comes to the os...

Thanks again, Eric

Apr 27, 2016 9:45 AM in response to nonifer

There is a com.apple.SystemInformation (or SystemProfiler) .plist in your user library you can try to delete and then restart.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences.

Apr 30, 2016 8:45 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks again, Eric, for been there for me.

I'm still running Mavericks (afraid to do the jump, being confortable as I am with all my programs doing it the way I want it and I'm used to, and not really seeing what kind of progress I would notice in my daily tasks when using ElCapitán),

so, in my Home--> Lib-->Preferences I don't have any 'com.apple.SystemInformation (or SystemProfiler) .plist'.

The only one closer is 'com.apple.Systempreferences .plist' that I don't think I should touch... at all...

User uploaded file

And then, I think of all possible trouble I can throw to myself if something goes wrong (it's happen in the past with other simple things). So, considering I don't consult much my System Information app at the moment, I'm going to ignore it's not working and will wait till I really need to upgrade the OS, or... something bigger goes wrong that force me to reinstall the OS.

I really appreciate your support. Thanks!

Pd.

Do you know how in Preview (Mavericks) I can use the select tool to scale NOT proportionally when I past a copied patch or image?

I can do it when selecting a patch first and till I copy it, but not once I placed that patch somewhere else. Before, it was always possible, but now seems not to work that way anymore...

Opening ‘System Information’ is suddenly not possible. All I can see when it’s trying to open is a continuos contraption of the dock itself (like a palpitation) as if it was trying to place its icon there (what it’s the right thing to happen) but so

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.