Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks and repairing permissions

I'm trying to verify and repair my permissions. I used disk utility in El Capitain, but Mavericks doesn't seem to have it. Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mavericks OS, 10.9

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 2:24 PM

7 replies

Apr 24, 2016 2:50 PM in response to Chip Thornton

Disk Utility is in the Utilities folder of your startup volume. If you don't find it, then either you've deleted or moved it. In the case of the former you will have to re-install Mavericks in order to get it back.

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Disk

Be sure to have a current backup.

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Choose Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button.
  4. When the process finishes, quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  5. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

If you try using Disk Utility from El Capitan, then there is only one option, First Aid.

Repair the Disk for El Capitan

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Apr 25, 2016 11:42 AM in response to Chip Thornton

What version of OS X do you have installed? Please take a snapshot of your Disk Utility window:

To Post A Screen Shot

1. Press Command-Shift-4 which will change the cursor to crosshairs.
  2. Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshairs to select the part of the screen you wish to capture.
  3. Release the mouse button and the image will be saved to your Desktop.
  4. Click on the Camera icon in the toolbar of the forum message editor.
  5. Drag the image onto the Choose File button and click on the Insert button.

May 2, 2016 9:41 AM in response to theratter

Sorry for the late response, theratter. I feel like a dope in regards to my "resolution." I realized that I was not dealing in Mavericks, but rather in El Capitain, ergo eradicating the fact that Repairing the Permissions is no longer in Disk Utility. If you have an idea as to how to repair the permissions in El Capitain I would appreciate it. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Chip

Mavericks and repairing permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.