Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore my desktop calendar, and then stop using iCloud

Is there a way to restore my desktop calendar and contacts from iCloud, save them and then sign out of iCloud without losing my data?

I've never been able to sync to iCloud without problems, multiple contacts, desktop calendar locking up trying to sync, etc. I restored my iPhone, and cleaned up the duplicate contacts with iMazing (still have duplicate groups) so I have something to use on my phone for now. I'm logged out of iCloud on both devices and system prefs. until I figure this out.

While cumbersome, and a one way path, syncing via iTunes was reliable. I only used iCloud for Find My Phone. As I've not been able to master iCloud, I want to go back to manual sync.

I'm in trouble with this one. My calendar is critical. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), IPhone 5s iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 8:01 PM

9 replies

Apr 26, 2016 6:42 AM in response to sdb2013

Hi sdb2013,

I understand you no longer wish to use iCloud to keep your data synchronized between your devices. I'm going to include some information here for iCloud troubleshooting, just in case you change your mind. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your MacBook Pro is backed up via Time Machine, and your iPhone is backed up via iCloud or iTunes. Next, take a look at the resource below which provides steps for backing up all of the data you have in iCloud. If you turn off the iCloud features like Calendar on your iMac, you will be asked if you want to keep the data on your computer. That would be a place to start.

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

How toback upyour devices using iCloud or iTunes

Get help using iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders

Archive or make copies of your iCloud data

iCloud: Change iCloud feature settings

You can change which iCloud features you’re using on any of your devices by turning features on or off. You can also turn off iCloud completely.

When you turn off an iCloud feature on a device, information stored only in iCloud for that feature is no longer available on the device. If you turn off Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Reminders, iCloud Photo Library, or iCloud Drive on just one device, you can still view and change your information on iCloud.com and on another device you have set up for that feature.

In some cases when you turn off an iCloud feature on a device, you can choose to keep a copy of the feature’s information on that device. The copied information isn’t kept in sync with iCloud. If you turn off Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks in iCloud for Windows on a Windows computer, information stored in iCloud remains available in Microsoft Outlook, but it isn’t kept up to date with your other devices.

Before turning off a particular feature on all your devices, or before turning off iCloud completely, you can archive a copy of your iCloud data on your computer. For more information, see the Apple Support article Archive or make copies of your iCloud data.

Turn iCloud features on or off

Depending on which device’s settings you want to change, do one or more of the following:

On your iOS device: Go to Settings > iCloud, then tap to turn on or off iCloud features.

User uploaded file

On your Mac: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then select or deselect each feature.

User uploaded file

Some features aren’t available or are listed differently in earlier OS X versions.

On your Windows computer: Open iCloud for Windows, then select or deselect each feature. To make your changes take effect, click Apply.

User uploaded file

• Some features aren’t available on your Windows computer, or are listed differently, depending on whether your computer has Microsoft Outlook 2016 or earlier installed.

Outlook installed: You use iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks in Outlook. Note that iCloud reminders are called tasks in Outlook. If you turn off Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks, the iCloud information remains available in Microsoft Outlook, but it isn’t kept in sync with iCloud.

Outlook not installed: You can use iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders in your web browser on iCloud.com.

• If you select Bookmarks, and your computer has Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox installed, you can click Options to select the Windows browsers whose bookmarks you want to keep up to date with bookmarks in Safari on your iOS devices and Mac computers set up for iCloud Safari. For information about browsers supported by iCloud for Windows, see the Apple Support article System requirements for iCloud.

Turn off iCloud completely

Depending on whether you want to stop using iCloud on all or only some devices, do one or more of the following:

On your iOS device: Go to Settings > iCloud, then at the bottom of the screen, tap Sign Out (Delete Account in iOS 7 and earlier).

Note: If you sign out of iCloud (or delete your iCloud account), iCloud no longer backs up your iOS data. You can still back up your device in iTunes. For more information, open iTunes, then choose iTunes > Help.

On your Mac: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Sign Out.

On your Windows computer: Open iCloud for Windows, then click Sign out.

Note: If you turned on automatic download of music, app, or book purchases (in iTunes preferences or in Settings on your iOS device), your iTunes purchases are still downloaded to your devices.

Set up iCloud

Last Modified: Mar 25, 2016

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using USB

Take care,

Apr 26, 2016 3:18 PM in response to judysings

Judy Sings..., Thank you sooo much for your detailed response. It led me pretty close to what I was trying to learn, while the process also illustrated some of the issues I'm having with the iCloud service. I am a long time Apple guy (1st one was a Mac Plus), but a consumer only. Here's what I did, using your tutorial.

I logged into iCloud from Safari on my Mac book, then from Sys. Prefs. "Use iCloud for Contacts, etc." already selected. I declined iCloud Keychain (not sure about that function).

After logging into both, I was then asked for my password 3 times and carefully entered my PW each time, while still logged into iCloud on Safari. I was then prompted by the "forgot password" dialog, yet received only an "Your Apple ID was used to sign into iCloud via web browser"email, no password reset mail. Hmmm. Not sure what that was about...

I then got a "trusted device info. not available" message. No really clear on these dialogs, but I continued to be logged in on the Safari iCloud screen.

When I opened iCloud Settings/Calendar, it showed my multiple sub-calenders, with one duplicated 6 times (the same one that was duplicated and manually deleted in my prior visit). I manually deleted all the duplicates.

I opened Calendar on my MacBookPro and got "moving calendars to server account", which never resolved. After several minutes, I force quit the desktop Calendar. I then got "Core Services UI Agent would like to access your calendar". Not knowing what that was, I declined.

I opened iCloud Contacts and found all my groups duplicated there, with 3 duplicates for each contact, which migrated to my desktop Address Book, that I had manually cleaned up after my prior iCloud attempt. I deleted the duplicate groups on iCloud, which left 1 duplicate there of each contact.

One aspect that did resolve my Calendar question was from your "Archive or make copies of your iCloud data". I followed those instructions, making each of 7 sub-calendars "Public", copying and pasting to my browser, changing the header to HTTP, and downloaded each to my desktop, then changed each iCloud sub-calendar back from Public.. I then logged out of iCloud Safari and Sys. Prefs., which left 1 default desktop calendar with no entries. Opening each downloaded file added entries to my desktop Calendar. I didn't realize my 7 existing sub-calendars would not reproduce from the file. I'll need to sign in and out out of iCloud to erase my desktop Calendar app, recreate the individual sub -calendars on the desktop app (which I only have for the color coding of entries), re-open the 7 downloaded files and select the appropriate sub-calendar. I made a VCF card via iMazing from my iPhone, and will use that to repopulate my Address Book without duplicates. Then I'll sync my iPhone Calendar via iTunes. No more iCloud for me, except for Find My Phone. Too much work resolving bugs. I have a work around now, and will keep manually syncing.

I'm obviously a rookie here, but the added duplicate calendars and unexpected merging of contacts on my MacBookPro and iPhone is what keeps me off of iCloud. Sounds awesome in theory, but it results in my having to rework my Calendars and Address book every time I attempt to use this service. Whatever I may be missing is not readily apparent.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Judy Sings. I do greatly appreciate your time!

May 2, 2016 11:31 AM in response to sdb2013

Hi sdb2013,

I'm glad the information helped, and apologize for the confusion regarding iCloud. If, at any point, you want to try it again, perhaps with just one calendar to begin with -- I would recommend making an appointment with a Genius at a local Apple Retail store so s/he can sit with you one-to-one to explain the process and answer you questions.

May 2, 2016 2:39 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. When I logged off my MacBook Pro from iCloud, it wiped my desktop calendars. I did individually download each ics file from iCloud/Calendars, per the Apple instructions. What I didn't realize was that all my existing sub-calendars would not reproduce from each file. So my choice was/is to manually reproduce these calendars, and then open/save the ics file to the appropriate calendar (again). I may do that. For now everything was populated as one large calendar.

What specifically do you mean by "back up". I won't use iCloud to backup, as I don't trust the migration, based on my experiences with the duplicate Calendars and Contacts. I routinely backup to a second drive, but don't want to do that until I'm positive I have these calendars right, as there are several years of calendar entries stored on the backup prior to my most recent attempt at using iCloud sync, and I don't want to overwrite those yet. My present desktop calendars are corrupted.

What about booting from my backup, going to Home/Library/Calendars, copying that folder and replacing my root Calendar folder with the back up? Wouldn't that reproduce all archived data current up to my most recent back up? Don't want to go there if there are any potential issues.

Feedback on best process?

I appreciate your time!

Trying to restore my desktop calendar, and then stop using iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.