Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Server OS X VPN and DNS - Newbie

Hi All,

In short ive zero idea how to set up the Server OS X, If i opt for bullet points to help.

Were I am

Mac Pro

OS X Server (version 5.02)

Noip Free DNS account.

What I want to Do.

Set up a VPN (to use from HK while in China, on a macbook air, iPhone, Android Handset and Windows Machine)

Set up file sharing.

Im a complete novice so any help or guides id appreciate.

regards

MacBook

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 11:10 PM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2016 4:16 PM in response to Joneye

How much time/effort do you want to put into this?

How much experience do you have managing networks? Do the phrases NAT, port forwarding, tunneling, asymmetrical bandwidth make you palpitate in fear of the unknown?

If so, your best path would be to sign up with one of the commercial VPN service vendors, and sign up for a box.com or dropbox account. Problem solved.

Seriously, this problem is often better solved by someone else already having done the legwork, and without reinventing the wheel.

Apr 26, 2016 10:44 PM in response to Camelot

Hi Camelot

Thank you for reply.

How much time/effort do you want to put into this?

As much as it takes.

How much experience do you have managing networks? Do the phrases NAT, port forwarding, tunneling, asymmetrical bandwidth make you palpitate in fear of the unknown?

Zero, hence appearing hear to look for guidance and learning.

If so, your best path would be to sign up with one of the commercial VPN service vendors, and sign up for a box.com or dropbox account. Problem solved.

Not a solution as most are blocked by China, my core goal being learning how to set up my own VPN.

Seriously, this problem is often better solved by someone else already having done the legwork, and without reinventing the wheel.

Im of believe the forum is here to help users accomplish learning goals with advice and assistance, forgive me ive read your email as a downplay of learning capabilities and a side step in assistance. Im open to being incorrect.

Best

JONeYE

Apr 26, 2016 11:10 PM in response to Joneye

I didn't intend my reply to demean you or your abilities, just to make sure you realize that this is a much larger undertaking than you may be expecting, with no guarantee of success. This is especially true if you have zero experience of networking systems... I'd generally recommend something easier to cut your teeth on.

The fact remains that while Mac OS X Server can do this, there may be easier/better solutions available. For example, if I were looking to setup a VPN connection to my home network (and I've been doing networking for a long time now), I'd look for a router that has a VPN server built-in... a few clicks in the router's UI and you're set. That's sufficient for most users' needs.

However, if you do want to go this route, your basic path is:

1) Enable the VPN service on your server. Here's a decent walkthrough - slightly outdated but still relevant.

2) Configure port forwarding on your router to map the incoming traffic to your server. The mechanics of this will vary depending on the router model in use, but check TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support for a list of relevant port numbers.

Realize that being connected to the VPN does connect you to the internal resources on your home network, but it's still not quite like being there in person. You'll need to know the IP address of the various services (e.g. file server) on your home network in order to connect to it via VPN.

Apple Server OS X VPN and DNS - Newbie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.