Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie direct recording disappeared

I recorded a movie yesterday for an interview assignment, (20 minutes) directly into my iMac iMovie. I cannot find it anywhere now; when I click on the title in iMovie media section there is no clip. I may have had the "Hide Import" box ticked (the default), but have looked in the iMove library by Control-clicking to access "Show Package Contents". The "Original media" folder is empty, but there are items in the render media folder.

System is 10.11.4, iMovie is 10.1.1

Help appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 11:31 PM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2016 4:49 PM in response to suzannenz

Well your procedure is correct. When you closed the import window was your new event listed in the library list? The event should have automatically opened showing the clip in the media library. I take it that this didn't happen. Go to your movies folder in your boot drive and control click on iMovie Library and select open package contents. In the window that opens find the event you created. Open the original Media folder and see if your video is there. Be careful not to change anything as you can corrupt the library. If the video you recorded is not there then either the recording failed or it was saved in a different event. You can look in the original media of the other events in your open library to see if you can find it. The files are named with date and time.mov. You can try using the iSight camera again and see if it works ok. If it fails then close and reopen iMovie holding down the command and option keys. In the window that opens select delete preferences.

May 2, 2016 3:53 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I can only assume that the recording failed for some reason as I can not find it in any of the show package contents areas. I have since made other recordings with no problems, with the "Hide imported" button firmly unticked. (I don't know why one would want to hide imported content, or why it should be ticked as the default...)

Thanks for your help.

iMovie direct recording disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.