Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX problem with add freeze frame

For some reason I cannot add freeze frames anymore. I have tried several projects and none responds. Although the FF appears does appear it only has 8seconds and I cannot enlarge it with the change duration facility... Any ideas please?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 12:45 AM

40 replies

Apr 26, 2016 12:31 AM in response to Sots62

Sots62 wrote:

Under what heading is "preferences"?

I will try on Thursday when I am next at the studio. Thank you very much

To delete preferences, hold down the Command and Option keys while starting FCP X. A dialog will appear. Confirm.

You will then have to reopen the library you were working on, but none of your content is affected by this.

Corrupt preferences are the most common cause of erratic behavior in the application.

Apr 26, 2016 8:22 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Try deleting preferences.

Hope that works. When I started using Media 100 back in 1996 or so, that was what we had to do to solve every weird or inexplicable issue with the software, delete the prefs. Silly that after 20 years, that's still the first thing we are asked to try.

Two decades ago, Philip Hodgetts created a script to easily purge the Media 100 prefs. There is a similar freebie available from Digital Rebellion that saves a copy of your good prefs. When needed, you delete a suspect or corrupted prefs file and replace with a copy of your known prefs. Free.

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Apr 27, 2016 12:28 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Thank you all! I will certainly try it! By the way perhaps you could advice me on buying a faster external hard drive. I have a limited graphics card but I have recently add 16 GB of Ram to my computer, now I have 24. All my footage is in external hard drive with plenty of room. I was told that a thunderbolt hard drive would make a difference to my editing. At the moment I am trying to edit a 4K video 1h20minutes long and I cannot really see what is going on because in some sections it gets fractioned or slowed down...

Should I buy a Thunderbolt hard drive? Which one? Will it make a difference?

Thank you again!

Apr 27, 2016 12:34 AM in response to Sots62

For a single external drive (i.e. not a RAID, where you'd have 2 or more drives in an external enclosure working together), there is no advantage to use Thunderbolt, as USB3 drives are cheaper and you won't feel the difference. The reason is that the limiting factor is the speed of the drive itself, not the connection. Both USB3 and Thunderbolt have a lot more bandwidth than what a single drive can use.

FCPX problem with add freeze frame

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.