Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Nano 3rd Gen 4gb Keeps Freezing iTunes

Recently the iPod has been working fiene but when it comes to syncing it to my PC iTunes just refuses to do anything but the iPod see's it's connected but does nothing.

How do I either totally wipe the ipod incase there's a track on there causing the issue or at least get iTunes to see it's connected.

I am on Windows 10.

iTunes is version 12.3.3.17

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 5:45 AM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2016 3:53 PM in response to Nutronic

Try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

Run iTunes and connect iPod. If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore. If you're OK with erasing the iPod, do the Restore. After the Restore, if there's no hardware problem, the iPod should work and connect properly, and you can re-sync your songs.

Apr 26, 2016 6:06 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried 6 USB ports on my main PC and 2 on another machine, both give the same result.

I have also tried 2 different cables, both does the same thing.

I have also tried using a previous version of iTunes that I used to sync the ipod but this just freezes too....I am starting to believe that the iPod is not compatible with windows 10 or something.

I found another suggestion that states to put it in Disk Mode and then format it using the right click method but when trying to do that the mouse cursor just sits "loading" rather than actually present a menu.

If I disconnect the ipod from my PC then the PC tells me the ipod needs to be formatted and asks if it should open iTunes but as soon as the ipod is connected again we are back to "square one".

It is becoming quite annoying.

Apr 26, 2016 6:16 AM in response to Nutronic

It's compatible with Windows 10, if it's working properly. My next suggestion, if you could get the iPod to appear in Windows as a storage device, was to reformat it using Windows. It sounds like you tried that, and it does the equivalent of iTunes "freezing."

The flash-based storage use in iPod nano does eventually become faulty, like the failure of hard drives in older iPod models. The likely cause for your problem is the computer's system not being able to access the iPod's storage to read and write data properly, which is why the attempts cause the system to "hang."

Ipod Nano 3rd Gen 4gb Keeps Freezing iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.