Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Label Keynote Slides and Build Elements

I'm on a Macbook Pro running OS 10.11.4. I'm not as savvy as other users, so I'd appreciate some grace if my question annoys the more experienced users out there. I have the latest version of Keynote, and am trying to find away of naming/labelling each slide, as well as other things (such as builds and groups of actions/builds).

I'm well aware of Apple's stance (it seems) that we (the user) simply should not want to do certain things, in their view. The context for me is, I'm creating animations and other graphics, and want to be able to have a "presentation" called, for example, "Technology". Within that would be a slide that has Televisions, Mobile phones, and so on. Being able to name a slide, and a group of actions/builds, and save those groups to a reusable template would be great.

I can't imagine for a minute that Apple will implement this because I think it's a great idea, but I just wondered if there was anything I was not seeing, and if there were any helpful comments out there (not necessarily a 10-point work, impractical around, although I am always intrigued about how people come up with some clever workarounds.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 2:35 AM

Howdy RhinoReturns,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand you'd like to not only rename the master slides you use in a presentation, but also the builds. You can rename these master slides by following the steps outlined below. At this time animations and builds cannot be saved in a master slide, so that needs to be created on a per-slide basis.

Add a master slide

1. Click View User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose Edit Master Slides.

2. Do any of the following:

• Click User uploaded file in the toolbar, then select a master slide.

• In the slide navigator, select a slide with a layout similar to the layout you want, then press Return.

3. Double-click the name of the master slide in the slide navigator and type a new name.

4. Modify the slide however you like by adding text, images, shapes, placeholders, or other objects.

If you want objects on slides based on this master to layer over master objects, select “Allow objects on slide to layer with master” in the sidebar. (If you don’t see a sidebar, or the sidebar doesn’t say Master Slide Layout at the top, click the master slide in the slide navigator, then click User uploaded file in the toolbar.)

To learn more about layers, see Layer, group, and lock objects.

5. Click Done at the bottom of the slide canvas, or click View User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose Exit Master Slides when you’re done editing.

Keynote for Mac: Add and edit master slides

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 2:35 AM in response to RhinoReturns

Howdy RhinoReturns,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand you'd like to not only rename the master slides you use in a presentation, but also the builds. You can rename these master slides by following the steps outlined below. At this time animations and builds cannot be saved in a master slide, so that needs to be created on a per-slide basis.

Add a master slide

1. Click View User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose Edit Master Slides.

2. Do any of the following:

• Click User uploaded file in the toolbar, then select a master slide.

• In the slide navigator, select a slide with a layout similar to the layout you want, then press Return.

3. Double-click the name of the master slide in the slide navigator and type a new name.

4. Modify the slide however you like by adding text, images, shapes, placeholders, or other objects.

If you want objects on slides based on this master to layer over master objects, select “Allow objects on slide to layer with master” in the sidebar. (If you don’t see a sidebar, or the sidebar doesn’t say Master Slide Layout at the top, click the master slide in the slide navigator, then click User uploaded file in the toolbar.)

To learn more about layers, see Layer, group, and lock objects.

5. Click Done at the bottom of the slide canvas, or click View User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose Exit Master Slides when you’re done editing.

Keynote for Mac: Add and edit master slides

Take care.

Apr 27, 2016 2:26 AM in response to RhinoReturns

There isn't a feature in Keynote to add custom labels to slides or to objects in the build list

The work around I use is:

slide labels

in outline view type in text needed for a label

if the text is not to be shown in the presentation,

either deselect the title option in Inspector > Format > Slide layout > Appearance or set opacity of the text box to 0%

User uploaded file

object labels

type the text on to the object (double click then type in the text)

if the text is not to be shown in the presentation; reduce text opacity to 0%

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2016 2:31 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such detail. Maybe it's the very early wake-ups of my young daughters, and/or that I don't have sufficient coffee flowing through my veins yet, but I'll need to follow this one to see what it actually does because I can't quite grasp the explanation (it's not you, it's me).

I'm sure that it will be very helpful. 🙂

Thanks again!

Ryan

How to Label Keynote Slides and Build Elements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.