Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove hot spot shield

I can't even drag the app badge to the trash. This thing is ridiculous! Can't find anything in the library folders. I am beyond ****** right now. Contacted them and they just gave me instructions to make it work better. Oh I forgot this rogue POS hijacked my safari last night. UGH!!!!!! Please Help. 30 yrs of apple usage and I've never seen anything like this.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 8:54 AM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2016 10:30 AM in response to carguy148

Hotspot Shield is an evil thing that has been deliberately made difficult to remove so you need to calm down and be systematic. First, review the answers in this thread and then try following the instructions provided:

Remove Hotspot shield

In particular try this answer:

ElRojito's last step-by-step recipe

If you think you have been successful, I suggest you run EtreCheck:

https://etrecheck.com/

and post the report here so we can help you check it's all gone.

C.

Apr 25, 2016 11:00 AM in response to cdhw

I'd already searched the forum and did all of those things multiple times. The problem is either its el capitan or the fact that its the hot spot shield app and not the program. None of my animosity was directed at apple or this forum. Again I'd already contacted hot spot shield or anchor and getting the run around from them. Like said long time apple user and first post to these forums ever. Im frustrated with the situation. I can't even uninstall safari and reinstall anymore to get their buggy crap out of there. So sorry if I came off half cocked, just so frustrated at this point.

Apr 26, 2016 6:46 AM in response to carguy148

Okay. Start by running EtreCheck:

https://etrecheck.com/

and posting the report here. Next, open

Utilities > Terminal.app

and copy and paste this command into it and then hit return:

ls -l@en ~/Desktop/Hot*

copy and paste the result here. Next, again in Terminal.app use this command:

sudo caffeinate find / -iname "*hotspot*" -print

to find all the files on your machine with 'hotspot' in their name and post the results here. This last command needs to be run from an admin account (if you only have one user account this will be an admin account automatically) and will ask for the password. It may take a long time (minutes or tens of minutes) to finish depending on how many files you have on your disk.

C.

Remove hot spot shield

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.