Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to update to Yosemite 10.10.5 (NOT El Capitan)... how?

I have a Mac Pro 2009, still on Mavericks (10.9.5), where I use applications (such as Pro Tools 11) that are incompatible with El Capitan.

I need to update to Yosemite 10.10.5 because of the new Unreal Engine . I have the Yosemite disk image, but Apple says it can't verify my machine when I click on the installer. So I created a USB bootable - but the Startup Disk utility says "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk"...se help.

Please help! Have pro users been completely abandoned by Apple??

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 3:22 PM

You are just find out that Apple is no longer making Mavericks and Yosemite available unless you previously "purchased" them.

9 replies

Apr 25, 2016 9:37 AM in response to BrunoSerge

Apple has withdrawn 10.9 Mavericks and 10.10 Yosemite for sale as new, If you have not already downloaded them. Apple considers 10.11 ElCapitan vastly superior, and does not want you to adopt older Mac OS X when better solutions are already available. The newer versions are even more resistant to attack.

This is not an issue with the Mac, it is an issue where Avid Pro Tools has not yet adapted their software to the latest releases of Apple system software.

I suggest you contact Avid are ask them to guide you.

Apr 25, 2016 12:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

"Apple has withdrawn 10.9 Mavericks and 10.10 Yosemite for sale as new, If you have not already downloaded them"
Wow, that's completely out of touch with the way creative professionals, dependent on software version compatibilities, use Macs in general.

"Apple considers 10.11 ElCapitan vastly superior, and does not want you to adopt older Mac OS X when better solutions are already available"

Of course they consider it superior - it's newer, it better be superior, that's what they're paid to do! But calling it a "better solution" when clearly it isn't for people stuck to older software to finish deliverables... it's just out of touch. I thought Apple was all about user research and making things easy to use... well they forgot to research pro users :/

"This is not an issue with the Mac"
It is! Sorry. I bought pro hardware so I could use it no matter what, in the way I see fit. Apple limiting my freedom to install ANY OS version absolutely created a MAJOR issue with all Macs.

"it is an issue where Avid Pro Tools has not yet adapted their software to the latest releases of Apple system software."
I have to pay a lot of money to update to Pro Tools 12, which a lot of musicians and studios haven't done because it's not worth it. Look, we could go on and on, but the bottom line is, Apple won't let me install THEIR OS on THEIR hardware, simply because "there's a newer version".

Because of this philosophy, my $800 original Retina iPad is today completely unusable (Apple kept automatically installing iOS updates and not allowing me to ever revert) and now the device doesn't run, it crawls.

"I suggest you contact Avid are ask them to guide you."
How is it Avid's fault that Apple decided to adopt a fascist policy about installing OS versions? lol

Apr 25, 2016 12:58 PM in response to BrunoSerge

I have purchased or downloaded every version of Mac OS X at some time during the year or so when it was available. They are shown on my "Purchases" page, and I can re-download any of these versions whenever I choose. I have several Macs still running older versions.

Apple has decided not to offer its older versions as new, through the online Mac App Store.

If you have unusual requirements, you are welcome to make a free appointment at the Genius Bar, and request them to install any older version you need.

Apr 25, 2016 1:39 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

"If you have unusual requirements"
Only considered unusual if the "usual" is teen girls playing Candy Crush on their iphones.

"you are welcome to make a free appointment at the Genius Bar, and request them to install any older version you need."
Transport a 50 pound Mac Pro to the store, simply because I was too busy last year to make a pretend "purchase" and trick App Store's restrictive system? No thanks.

Maybe it would make more sense to update to El Capitan, as Apple demands me to, then send them the bill for the Pro Tools 12 update. If it hurts their pocket instead of mine, maybe they'll think about it next time they restrict users.

Want to update to Yosemite 10.10.5 (NOT El Capitan)... how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.