Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi drops when streaming horizon

Hi guys,

Ever since I found out that I could watch tv on my laptop via horizon tv (a tv streaming service of my internet provider, Ziggo), I use it. I stream within safari via a webpage. Safari's up to date.

But, when streaming and simultaneously working on something else (another webpage, viewing photo's with preview, or working with adobe [illustrator or photoshop are the worst]) my WiFI keeps dropping. The wifi symbol in the right hand corner just 'empties out' (so no connection with the WiFi networks, no bars whatsoever). It takes a few seconds and then it reconnects again, only to fail again after half a minute or so.

As you can imagine, this is very, very, very frustrating.

I've swapped switches and WiFi access points, changed WiFi preferences (channel and such, checked with the wifi diagnostics to find best channel etc.) and tried other networks within my main network at home (we have a total of 2 WiFi access points on top of our main router since it can't reach the whole house). Nothing seems to work. The Wifi Access points are cisco, the switches are from netgear and the modem's from ubee. The main router is a (rather intimidating looking) Netgear.

My wifi access point is connected to a 100mbit switch which is directly connected to the main router which is directly connected to the modem.

But, since the rest of my appliances seem to working fine when I stream something, I'm afraid it's got something to do with my laptop.

Which is frustrating, because it's relatively new and a major upgrade since my last macbook.

I've got a new macbook pro retina 13" (bought last december) with the following specs:

2,9-GHz processor
512 GB harddisk

• 2,9-GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost tot 3,3 GHz
  • 16 GB 1866-MHz LPDDR3-geheugen
  • 512 GB PCIe-flashopslag1
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100

On top of this I use an external monitor via the displayport & VGA.

So I really hope someone can help me, maybe it's some streaming-processing file on my mac which interferes with WiFi when I'm doing more than just browsing internet? Because the issue only seems to pop up when I'm streaming something AND working on something simultaneously (a webpage often reloaded, a 'heavy' program like one of the adobe suite)..

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 3,1 GHz i7; 16GB; Iris 6100 1536mb;

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 11:30 AM

17 replies

Apr 26, 2016 1:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

User uploaded file

There are 7 other networks that I see, plus the ones that belong to our network (tiger-gast and tiger5).

But that shouldn't be a problem, because our network SHOULD be on a different channel than the rest of them. Last time I checked it was.

I checked if the settings were different while streaming, only differences are RSSI (-24) and Noise (-94). When closing the streaming window, the settings revert to the ones you see above.

(Didn't know this was possible by the way, very interesting!)

Apr 26, 2016 4:03 PM in response to BlowYourMind

Your signal strength of -26 -95 = -69 is truly excellent.

Using 802.11n, you should get a base rate of about 50 Mbits/sec, and you are likely running three streams on it to get about 145 Mbits/sec, which is likely quite a bit faster than your connection to the Internet.

But you are using the very busy 2.4GHz band, which is where most of your neighbors routers will be, and is also shared with Bluetooth, microwave ovens, land-line portable phones, and USB-3 interference.

If you control three Routers, they should all be set to the SAME name, with the SAME encryption method and password (except your guest network which is not really separate). This will create your own Roaming Network, and your devices can hop from one Router to another to get the best connection under any conditions, including momentary bursts of interference. You should also give the 5Hz band the same name as well. It is only separately nameable to get you out of a few really obscure situations. For most Networks, it should have the same name.

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2016 4:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Duane pointed out that WiFi Explorer (US$15 with three-day free trial) can show you the distribution and competition of surrounding Networks:

User uploaded file

(click the graphic to expand)

From the diagram, you can see the spectrum overlap of two Networks on Channel 1 (Red and Green) and two networks on Channel 6 (light blue and dark blue) and two networks on channel 11.

it illustrates how few clear channels may be available at 802.11b/g/n speeds many Routers try to use in the 2.4GHz band.

In the 5GHz band, a neighbor's network at channel 155 is way too low a signal to be useable by you.

Duane's Network (orange) has been manually shoe-horned between the usual bands and is using channel 5, but competing vigorously with the networks on both sides.

Apr 26, 2016 4:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

OK, so I've checked a few things. This is the Wireless Diagnostics tool on my mac:

User uploaded file

And these are from the program you recommended. The tiger ones are ours (but I'll have to talk with my dad about changing the names and whatnot, like you suggest).

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Which settings would you recommend in this case? And my streaming issues are thus caused by the netwerk(settings) and not by my mac itself?

Apr 26, 2016 6:13 PM in response to BlowYourMind

And my streaming issues are thus caused by the network(settings) and not by my Mac itself?

Neither of those.

Your streaming issues are caused by having WAY too many other Routers hogging the 2.4GHz band. When all is idle, you it appears you can get anything through no problem, because your signal is a lot stronger than their idle polling. But the instant any of those others tries to send data as well, your data will get clobbered. Then your effective speed will drop way off, and your Mac will [rightly] disconnect. Your Hardware is working as designed, but you are asking it to do too much.

Your signal is very strong. Do you have your Router right next to your computer? Is it on an Ethernet cable? If both are true, you would be better served by getting an Ethernet adapter for your computer and plugging directly in to Ethernet.

If you have a Router being used as an extender without an Ethernet connection, that means it uses half its bandwidth talking to another Router, and likely has to talk through that crowded mess on 2.4 GHZ.

The Router on the 5GHz band is right on top of a neighbor's Router. The easiest thing to fix that up a little is to set it to "Automatic" channel selection. Then when it powers up, it will choose a channel that is less busy, rather than trying to yell over a neighbor'd Router on the 5GHz band.

Apr 28, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well, we've changed the access point (the strongest you see is indeed about 2 meters away, so very close) so that it will automatically choose the channel. It seems better (although only time will tell).

The router that's in my bedroom has an ethernet connection, so if needed I can get an ethernet adapter (no ethernet port unfortunately) and connect it directly. But, hopefully the WiFi will be better now so I don't need one (I have enough cables attached to my macbook haha, don't need any more xD).

I can't change the frequency of this router to 5GHZ, because my boyfriend's laptop won't work (an old windows, figures haha) with that one and where he sits, the other networks are too far away. Let's hope this is enough!

Current settings:

RSSI: -70

Noise: -96

TX rate: 117Mbps

Either way, thanks for your help! Learned a few things and hopefully my internet connection will be better afterwards!

May 6, 2016 7:13 AM in response to BlowYourMind

OK, thought it was solved but apparently not. We changed all the stuff you said (all the routers have the same settings, name and password and will automatically choose a channel). Don't have an ethernet adapter yet.

This time, I wasn't even streaming (or doing anything heavy for that matter, only Facebook was open on safari). I was watching something on the program VLC and opened Adobe Illustrator (on my external monitor).. and BAM, internet was out. Took some time to re-start too; it connected a few times but lost it again (and the VLC video began to falter).

Closing illustrator 'fixed' it.

It's weird, because it seems that when my MBP has to do 'too much' (well, not 'too much' since it's specs should be good enough to handle it), the internet connection falters or gets lost. I thought it had to do with streaming but apparently not..

I have to say, I tried switching the switch (lol) from a 100mb to a 1gb one. This helped (the internet connection didn't drop when streaming 4 streams at once) but I couldn't test it long-time (since I had to give it back).

Any ideas?

May 18, 2016 10:48 AM in response to BlowYourMind

Now that you have the more obvious issue of over-crowded airwaves under control, you may wish to run "Wireless diagnostics" from the Option-WiFI menu. It will examine your connection and give some general guidance.

User uploaded file

When the box above shows, click ( Continue) and it will Monitor. Then leave that window open in the background, and go about your usual work. If something unusual happens, you will get an alert.

Wifi drops when streaming horizon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.