Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I select a location during an automator action?

Hello, Apple gurus...

So here's what I'd like to do: I have an automator action that creates a standard set of folders (with subfolders) based on department. I have THREE separate actions that will create a folder hierarchy, named based on the text Automator asks for, in a location that is predetermined and built into the Automator action.

I'd like to add the ability to choose a location for the folder creation to take place. Here's an example once the action is run:

Please enter a department?

(department name entered)

Project name?

(project name entered)

______________ UP TO HERE IS WORKING____________

______________ HERE'S WHAT I WANT TO ADD________

(HERE'S WHERE I'D LIKE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FOLDER ON THE RELATED SERVER)

Action continues once loacation is chosen and 'OK' button is hit.

Make sense? THANKS!!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 11:41 AM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2016 2:29 PM in response to Erik Klaver

Without seeing your workflow, it's also hard to understand quite what steps you're taking, but you might be lucky... You specifically ask:

I'd like to add the ability to choose a location for the folder creation to take place. Here's an example once the action is run:

At face value, that sounds like it should be possible to do by just turning on the 'Show this action when the workflow runs' option for the Finder's New Folder action:

User uploaded file

This will pause the workflow and prompt the user to specify a new folder name, which is then integrated into the workflow.

Is that sufficient for your needs?

Can I select a location during an automator action?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.