Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do the wifi+cell iPads need to be activated on a network before you can use them?

I've never owned an iPad before and someone offered to sell me their old one for cheap. It's a Verizon iPad 3.

The issue is that I don't plan on ever getting this tablet a data plan. I plan on only using it when wifi is available. I know I could just get a wifi only iPad, but they're selling for significantly more than what my friend is selling his for.

Is this okay? Do I still need to activate the device on Verizon before I can use it? Will I get constant notifications that my tablet isn't activated if I don't? Will I even be able to use the device *at all* if I don't activate it?

Sorry for all the potentially dumb questions. Like I said before, I've never owned a tablet before.

Thanks in advance.

null-OTHER, iOS 9.3.1, iPad 3rd generation (Verizon)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 1:35 PM

1 reply

Do the wifi+cell iPads need to be activated on a network before you can use them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.