Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Speed cap to 40MB/s with USB-C cable

I recently purchased a Samsung T3 SSD USB-C drive to use with my MacBook.

But right now I'm facing a speed cap issue on it:

I purchased it to used with my MacBook Retina 12' because of the USB-C support

But there is a real problem for this drive to use with USB-C to USB-C cable:

If I use it with Apple USB-C to USB-C cable, I only get USB 2.0 speed which is capped at 40MB/s in and out. Like the photo 1-3 show below.

If I use it with the USB-A to USB-C cable I will have USB 3.0 speed which is 400MB/s in 425MB/s out. But the inconvenience part is for MacBook I have to use a USB-C to USB-A adapter like the photo 4-6 shows.

So is Apple put any speed cap on USB-C cable or Samsung should take the blame that send false USB 2.0 speed info to Macbook?

Use with direct Apple USB-C cable (I tried other USB-C cable like anker/Chotech same problem) so cable is not the problem

User uploaded file

you can see the speed in system info is listed as USB 2.0 with 480Mb/s

A speed test confirm it's limited to USB 2.0 standard:

User uploaded file

If I use a USB-A to USB-C adapter and use the USB-C to USB-A cable on the SSD. it will work full speed:

User uploaded file

you can see the speed in system info is listed as USB 3.0 with 5Gb/s

A speed test confirm it works:

User uploaded file

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Serial Number>

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), USB-C

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 12:39 PM

11 replies

Nov 17, 2016 7:43 PM in response to Csound1

I meant that I have the same issue with the speeds only being around 30-40mbs. I assume this is because my computer does not support USB-c and to get the max speeds, C to C must be used? I am currently using the cable that it came with (A - C) and my speeds are slow. Please confirm if its the computer I am using or there is another adapter i can use to get higher speeds on my Mac Pro (Late 2011).

SSD Speed cap to 40MB/s with USB-C cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.