Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari becomes intermittendly unusable

I use Safari as my default web browser. Once, twice, or even 3 times a day (there is no pattern as to frequency, timing, length, or place), the browser quits pulling up webpages. During those times, the computer sounds like (for lack of better description) the hard drive is spinning up. I know it can't be that because the internal memory is a flash drive. Also, it always shows during those times that Safari is "Using significant energy". The way the webpages stop loading, it appears the internet connection is simply becoming slow. But every time, I can start up Chrome, and the while Safari is hosed up, Chrome is doing just fine. So I assume it's not the connection. Eventually the problem goes away, and the process repeats some time again and again and again.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 1:56 PM

"it always shows during those times that Safari is "Using significant energy."

You may have a Safari extension or third party plug-in installed that's causing the hard drive to spin up.

It's easy to troubleshoot.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. If there are any extensions installed, uninstall one at a time then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2016 1:56 PM in response to wiggle-britches

"it always shows during those times that Safari is "Using significant energy."

You may have a Safari extension or third party plug-in installed that's causing the hard drive to spin up.

It's easy to troubleshoot.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. If there are any extensions installed, uninstall one at a time then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Apr 25, 2016 1:59 PM in response to wiggle-britches

wiggle-britches wrote:

I use Safari as my default web browser. Once, twice, or even 3 times a day (there is no pattern as to frequency, timing, length, or place), the browser quits pulling up webpages. During those times, the computer sounds like (for lack of better description) the hard drive is spinning up. I know it can't be that because the internal memory is a flash drive. Also, it always shows during those times that Safari is "Using significant energy". The way the webpages stop loading, it appears the internet connection is simply becoming slow. But every time, I can start up Chrome, and the while Safari is hosed up, Chrome is doing just fine. So I assume it's not the connection. Eventually the problem goes away, and the process repeats some time again and again and again.

Check your top sites as they do refresh - and Spotlight/Finder may be getting behind on indexing web data - So you may want to look at spotlight preferences in you system preferences.

Apr 25, 2016 2:06 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I had one extension and removed it. (It was an RSS reader which I didn't even use). I also deselected "Allow Plug-Ins". Each time I quit and restarted Safari with 3 tabs open. Each time, when Safari restarted, the websites on the 3 tabs quickly reloaded once. But then became sluggish right away again. None of the 3 tabs are apple.com. I'm writing this on Chrome, which has no problem.

Safari becomes intermittendly unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.