Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete "Ghost Audio Files" on iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1, iTunes 12.3.3

I have a Windows PC with iTunes 12.3.3 (latest version) and iPhone 6s iOS 9.3.1

Been having alot of trouble recently with iTunes thinking I have music on my iPhone when I really don't have music on my phone, hence the name "ghost files". I have tried what several other websites have suggested doing such as:

• Downloading iFunbox and deleting ghost files there
  • Clearing all music on iPhone through settings>General>Usage>Music and delete all
  • Resetting iPhone, worked, but only temporarily
  • Using a different Apple lightning cable
  • Download and run iExplorer

Also posted a topic before which brought me to the realization that the audio files are on my iPhone but not showing up in the Music app. Please do read through this topic, I have given alot of background information here that isn't going to be written on this topic.

So i just spent the past 2 hours syncing music over to my iPhone and it all got "erased"

I have checked iTunes in the summary tab of my iPhone at the very bottom, and it does not show any data for music files, which is very weird. I have since tried syncing the music i want on my phone through iTunes but it simply doesn't sync over. iTunes acts as if the files are already on my iPhone.

One last problem that may be affecting the music is that on iTunes next to not all, but some of the songs I previously had on my iPhone have a ! inside of a circle to the left of the song.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 3:01 PM

18 replies

Apr 27, 2016 5:52 PM in response to CaelinS

The following steps should resolve things assuming all of the content you want is in your library.

(If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.)

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

N.b. A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. You can however download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. A further change to the way restores are implemented means that all private app data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works. Not having the apps in your library isn't the drawback it once was, however you are still at risk of losing a favoured app if it is removed from the store and you don't have a local copy.

tt2

Apr 28, 2016 3:25 PM in response to turingtest2

I have already backed up the iPhone, so there is now content on there. I immediately backed up the iPhone after restoring, so I never had a chance to check for sure if there was nothing on it, if thats what your asking.

And for what you wan to see in iTunes I would assume you want to see summary, so here it is:

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

How to delete "Ghost Audio Files" on iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1, iTunes 12.3.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.