Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt port is unknown (macbook air mid2011)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Hello, i am trying to use firewire audio interface but none is working. I checked the thunderbolt adapter, and other stuffs. Then i realised that the thunderbolt is not working, and it's firmware is unknown. So i tried to download firmware updates which is compatible with my macbook air 2011, yet i could not able to install it. It says this software is not supported on your system. I can use it as mini display with thunderbolt to vga adapter. I searched all forum and can not find anything like unknown firmware.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), mid 2011

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 2:58 PM

5 replies

Apr 25, 2016 3:07 PM in response to nehmeto

You can make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. You can also look for an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Or you can try erasing the disk and reinstalling OS X in case it is a software related problem:

Install Yosemite orEl Capitan from Scratch

Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

May 5, 2016 2:08 PM in response to nehmeto

the problem has not been solved yet. My thunderbolt port does not work. It runs only mini display (i am sure it is a thunderbolt port). I ve checked the forums, google no even 1 post i could find. my thunderbolt firmware is unknown, i can not update it all the updates tell the same story: this system is not supported in your software. I reinstalled, formatted the OS X. Is there any possibility my of that thunderbolt does not work while mini display works.

thank you for your answers.

thunderbolt port is unknown (macbook air mid2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.