Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After I upgraded my OS to El Capitan, my sketch app can’t render SF font at all and I am afraid of opening my files. Anyone knows how to fix this issue?

After I upgraded my OS to El Capitan, my sketch app can’t render SF font at all and I am afraid of opening my files. Anyone knows how to fix this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 2:22 PM

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches (including font caches) that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try the SF font on your Sketch app.

About Safe Mode

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2016 2:22 PM in response to yunha1

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches (including font caches) that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try the SF font on your Sketch app.

About Safe Mode

Apr 28, 2016 8:06 AM in response to yunha1

As has been noted, get rid of those modified versions of San Fransisco fonts. They were never meant to be used by anyone. Apple developed them for use with iOS and El Capitan's (and likely later releases of OS X) interface only.

Presuming the versions you picked up were the ones posted at GitHub, they don't work because they conflict with the required OS font, HelveticaNeueDeskInterface.ttc. Whoever modified the fonts failed to remove a conflicting entry. All eight fonts in the .zip file include a conflicting PS Font Name:

User uploaded file

From a personal viewpoint, I don't understand why folks try so hard to use this font. It is virtually identical to Helvetica and Arial. I've taken screen shots of all three of these fonts as displayed in FontLab Studio and laid them over each other in Photoshop to compare letterforms. You can find a handful that are different in minor ways, but not enough to make it worth even the slightest effort to try and force the San Francisco set onto your system as a usable font.

So to repeat, get rid of those hacked fonts. Use something else that is almost 100% comparable - like Helvetica.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.