Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 9.7" slow performance on wifi

Hi all - looking to the brains trust of Apple land on this one.

I have recently purchased the new iPad Pro 9.7" device (wifi and cellular) and have noticed considerably slower performance when using it on a wifi network.

I also own an iPhone 6S so decided to benchmark the two head to head, both on the same wifi network. Going to the same websites, YouTube, downloading my newspaper, it doesn't matter - the 6S simply blisters with speed whilst the iPad Pro chugs along and takes noticeably longer to download exactly the same content. The old iPad Air that I used to use never had this issue. The problem doesn't seem to be the same with a cellular connection, just the wifi one. The wifi network it is connecting to is blisteringply fast so I rule out the network being the issue. Just wondering if anyone else exhibits thIs problem.

I have to say im pretty disappointed in this iPad pro given the $1300 or so I paid for it. I'm strongly considering returning it.

Details: iPad Pro 9.7" 128gb Wifi + 4G Gold

running iOS 9.3.1

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular, iOS 9.3.1, 128gb

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 4:44 PM

14 replies

Apr 27, 2016 5:13 PM in response to MichelPM

Hi - that didn't end up working unfortunately. I have since spoken to the Apple Support team and whilst the debugging and diagnostic information they collected and guided me through didn't work either, I tried resetting my network settings and so far it seems to have significantly improved the performance. I will keep an eye on this to see if that is now the end of the matter. I am unclear why network settings (when I'm simply connecting to a wireless network) would have any bearing on the speed of connectivity, but it has, at least at this early stage.

Oct 16, 2016 7:14 PM in response to MikeyJeff

This is just an ios problem. I have an iPhone 6s, iPad Pro, ipad Air, and a MacBook pro retina. I've had all the iPhones in the past, I've had several iPads in the past and try to keep my devices upgraded. I can be working away, browsing, or doing something on wifi and it will suddenly lose connection (itll show I'm still connected). This happens with each of my devices at separate times, i have to close the browser start it back up and it immediately works again, this is especially the case with YouTube. I can watch several videos, click on another video to watch or type in something to watch and it will lose connection and I have to close the application and restart it. This has nothing to do with my internet connection because it does it on any wifi im connected to such as work, home, or school and all my devices at different times. For the first time in many years I am becoming fed up with these products and have considered changing. It is extremely frustrating. All the post I read, the problem is always the internet connection or the one single device. It doesn't matter how stylish, plush, and functional a vehicle is, if you're driving somewhere and suddenly it stops running it's not going to be enjoyed. This is how I feel about my apple products. It's getting extremely frustrating. my iPad Pro seems the worst.

Oct 16, 2016 8:16 PM in response to Stanch4

I experience this issue from time to time on my iPad Pro since the iOS 9.3.5 update.

Wifi signal Internet connection will stop, but still will show the Wifi bars as still connected.

Instead of restarting your iDevice each time, try simply going to the Settings App and Turn off WiFi for 10 seconds, or so, and then turn WiFi back ON.

NO device hard reset or iDevice power down/restart needed.

Wifi returns and apps that rely on an internet connection will re-respond.

Oct 16, 2016 8:22 PM in response to MichelPM

yes, you can do that but what I'm asking for is a software correction. Keep in mind that when you are you YouTube you may not be able to find the video you wanted to watch when you have to reconnect because youtube will refresh. I'm looking for more than a band-aid, I'd like a proper fix. This is obviously an apple issue since it frequestly occurs with multiple devices and not just one. Does anyone know of a router that works great with iOS?

Oct 16, 2016 8:41 PM in response to Stanch4

All I am pointing out is that when this happens, a total,more time consuming, restart/reset isn't necessary.

This is not a router/MODEM issue, but appears to be an iOS issue.

My router/MODEM is two years old and all of my other older iDevices are working fine on iOS 9.3.5

Just my iPad Pro has been experencing this issue only from time to time.

My 6th gen iPod Touch seems to be working fine, as well, with no WiFi issues on the same iOS 9.3.5.

This WiFi connection issue may have been exsacerbated with the introduction of iOS 10, also.

Send feedback to Apple if you want them to fix.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Good Luck!

Oct 16, 2016 8:51 PM in response to Stanch4

Have you tried changing the router/ MODEM's settings by accessing the router's software from a computer and web browser an the router's own iP address?

On iPad change DNS settings?

Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4 OR use OpenDNS. 208.67.222.123, 208.67.220.123.

AND/OR

In your router's software setting ( accessed by a computer and web browser, and the router's own iP address)

Changing the Wifi reception channel of the router from its default channel 6 to another less used, but strong WiFi reception channel?

Oct 17, 2016 3:55 AM in response to Stanch4

Have you tried my list of tips of possible solutions to your WiFi issues?

Try a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

Unplug your router/MODEM from power for, at least, 30 seconds, or so, then plug back in..

If you can access your router/MODEM's software from a computer, Check to see if your router/MODEM software is up to date(check the manufacturer’s support website for any newer software updates ).

Also try different frequency bands on the router (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

In the router/ MODEM software, look for the Wifi transmission/reception channel settings and try changing the reception channel to another strong, but less used (in your location proximity) WiFi reception channel OTHER THAN the router's default channel 6 for WiFi signal reception.

Change iDevice's DNS settings to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4 OR use OpenDNS. 208.67.222.123, 208.67.220.123.

Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

Backup and Restore the Device using current, but compatible version of iTunes ( if your iDevice is currently not updated to iOS 10 or CAN'T BE UPDATED to iOS 10, do not attempt to update to the latest iTunes 12.5.x as this version is not compatible with older iDevices still running iOS 9.3.5 or earlier).

See this link from Apple support section of their website.to learn about backing up and restoring an iDevice.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Good Luck!

Oct 29, 2016 8:05 AM in response to MikeyJeff

Hi Mike, I have exactly the same issue as you describe. the WIFI download rate with my new iPad Pro 9.7" is so slow that I can not work at all. Interestingly the upload rate is OK.

We have 1 other Ipad (older version) and 2 iPhones and verified also many times in parallel and these 3 older devices have the normal download rates.

If I read in the various forums, this seems to be an issue which various iPad owner have.

I talked with people in the apple shop in Basel, first they don't want to believe and actually they also cannot help at all.

I checked out all different measures, reboot of Ipad, reboot of router, new connecting of Wifi, etc, etc, no improvement.

So I am interested to hear if you found any solution in the meantime. thanks in advance.

Gruss Thomas

Oct 29, 2016 10:34 AM in response to MikeyJeff

okay, after several days of having slow to no internet connections, I have figured our problem out.

Our house wifi, is a Cisco unit 2009 and had version 2 firmwear on it. Going to the Cisco website, I downloaded the newest firmwear for my model which was dated Aug 2016, so far this seems to make since and my New Ipad is working as it should. 🙂 Mark Guatay, Ca

iPad Pro 9.7" slow performance on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.