Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos and processing...

I recently stopped using my point and shoot camera and have been using my iPhone 5s for taking pictures. I just submitted an order of prints for processing online. When I received the prints, they are not 4 x 6, but 4 x 5.33.

How can I get it so that when I submit prints for processing, it's a true 4 x 6 without losing any of the image?

I went into cropping, but don't see a 4 x 6 option, this is what I see:

User uploaded file

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 6:03 PM

8 replies

Apr 25, 2016 6:35 PM in response to andyr.

"How can I get it so that when I submit prints for processing, it's a true 4 x 6 without losing any of the image?"

Cannot be done. The iPhone like most cameras takes pictures in 4:3 mode (or square if you chose that mode). In order to print them in 4 x 6 you will have to crop them somehow and thus lose some of the photo (unless you want black bars). I use Photoshop to crop my pictures before sending them for printing. The cropping required for a 4x6 is different than that for 8x10 or other sizes. Cropping software is readily available, in fact Walgreens Photo lets you crop them online or at the store so you can see what you are cutting. They will also auto crop them for you but it is luck of the draw then.

May 1, 2016 7:46 AM in response to andyr.

Still confused by this. I've used point and shoot camera for years, 5 megapixels. When I send in prints for online processing, I always chose 4 x 6 and the prints came back just as I'd see them on the computer. I am now using my iPhone 5s for taking pictures, but when I send in for photo processing, it wants to default to 4 x 5.33 prints. I chose 4 x 6 and when I look at some of the pictures, it has cut off some areas.

This technology is supposed to be so advanced, but why can't I take a picture with my iPhone and get it processed into a 4 x 6 print? I tried cropping the photo on the site I use for processing, but it still cuts things off. Yes the picture is as seen on the computer in the 4 x 5.33 size, but I buy photo albums that have 4 x 6 openings and I like that size print. I compared a 4 x 6 to a 4 x 5.33 and like the larger print size, but not when it cuts things off.

There has to be a way to maintain the picture taken on the iPhone for a 4 x 6 print, anyone?

May 1, 2016 8:09 AM in response to andyr.

andyr. wrote:

There has to be a way to maintain the picture taken on the iPhone for a 4 x 6 print.

Only by distorting it, i.e., compress one side so it fits that mode.

Do you recall when 16:9 TVs first came out and the only way to fill a screen with a 4:3 broadcast was to stretch and distort it?

I crop mine and center the important material.

May 1, 2016 8:45 AM in response to elcpu

I do remember and yes this reminds me of the same thing.

I tried cropping the photo on the website of the photo processing, but it cuts things off automatically. For example, a picture is perfect in their 4 x 5.33 format. I crop that same picture in the 4 x 6 format, and I lose things. I figured that if I moved up to 4 x 6, there would be more room. This is confusing because I'm glad that I can still get 4 x 6 prints, but even with cropping, I'm losing things. Kind of defeats the purpose of what I want.

Jun 20, 2016 8:02 AM in response to andyr.

Just bringing up an older thread of mine because I never solved the problem.

I use York photo online for processing, but when I send in pics from my iPhone, York's system automatically reverts to the 4 x 5.33 size as opposed to 4 x 6 size that I want. In the past with my digital camera there was never a problem, I'd upload and select 4 x 6, never needed to crop or anything.

I prefer to now use my iPhone for pics and photo processing, but what I'm noticing is that I have to crop each and every image and sometimes lose some of the outside of the picture.

Is there anyway to adjust the settings on the iPhone so that I wouldn't have to crop a picture and still get a 4 x 6 print? The photo processing place mentioned that the aspect ratio is different between the 4 x 5.33 and the 4 x 6 size. For the 4 x 5.33, the aspect ratio is 1.33", while the aspect rate for a 4 x 6 is 1.5".

Is there a way to change the aspect ratio on the iPhone?

Thanks.

Photos and processing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.