Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail relay issue with 10.5.8 Server

I've recently split my network up, with one range of IP addresses for internal, private traffic, connecting out through a fibre connection, and a separate, shared network for general client use, connected via VDSL. They share the physical network, and the mail server sits on the client side. To complicate matters, the fibre connection by default doesn't allow SMTP traffic on port 25, which means if I'm to use the mail server to send (I can obviously receive IMAP mail) then I need to find a way to bridge between networks, which I've done. On the private side, there's a Lion Server set up to relay to the second port (and IP address) of the Leopard server running IMAP and SMTP, logging in to the main account we use.

On the private side all works well - I connect to SMTP on the Lion Server, and woosh, the message is sent to the Leopard server on the other side. I know it has been, because it appears in the Sent folder of the correct account along with everything else that leaves the building. Except it doesn't leave - mail sent from the client network exits fine, mail sent from outside the building finds the SMTP server with correct authentication, but mail relayed from the private network goes nowhere - even though it says it's been sent.

Any thoughts? Why would the SMTP server be treating relays any differently from other mail inside and outside the LAN?

Thanks in advance.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), DaVinci Resolve, Cubix, many Macs

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 5:43 PM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2016 2:23 AM in response to fearless

Hard to say without more information. Have a look at your mail logs. They should tell you why mail is not leaving or is being rejected.

That said, it could be that you need to force Postfix to stay and listen to only one of your networks/interface. Again, hard to tell without knowing your exact setup.

There is a parameter in main.cf for this. You can change:

inet_interfaces = all

to

inet_interfaces = yourIPtolistento

In any case you will need to gather log information first.

Apr 26, 2016 2:53 AM in response to pterobyte

Thanks I will check the logs. It seems weird that a Mail client viewing the account on the client side (in other words, a mail account hosted on the Leopard server that's receiving the relay) sees the message as sent when it hasn't been - but everything else emanating from elsewhere on the LAN and outside gets to where it's going. I'll post back some detail. Thanks again.

Mail relay issue with 10.5.8 Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.