Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play an episode from my iphone on Apple TV while Apple TV has it partially downloaded?

I started to download a TV episode to my iPhone but it was obviously going to take a few hours. I thought that maybe I could just stream it on Apple TV quicker but it told me it would take even longer. So once I got it downloaded on my iPhone, I thought I would just connect via AirPlay. But each time I try to play it, it starts trying to download on Apple TV again. How can I get it to ignore the download and just play via AirPlay?

Apple TV

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 7:35 PM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2016 3:55 AM in response to kiky806

Just to clarify, when you AirPlay video on a server from iPhone to ATV, it does not actually transmit the video over the WiFi. Only the stream identifier is sent to ATV, which connects to the server and streams it directly. You can check this by AirPlaying a video from Safari on the phone. You will not see the downloading wheel on the phone because ATV is downloading directly. If you enable AirPlay mirroring then, of course, you will be sending the data direct from phone to ATV, but you won't have full-screen video. Also, if you play a video from the iOS Videos app, it will be streamed direct from the phone, but you cannot do that with copy-protected video. To conclude, you cannot do what you wish because AirPlay doesn't work that way.

How do I play an episode from my iphone on Apple TV while Apple TV has it partially downloaded?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.