Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow wifi transfer rates with Airport Extreme network.

I have an Airport extreme Rev 5 and am trying to transfer files between 2 macs on the network. All works well but the transfer speed is only around 2.5 meg per second. Should be getting more than this?

Everything else works well, I get my full bandwidth from my ISP (11.8 MBPS) when downloading over wifi, It´s just when transferring files within the wifi network that things slow down.

Thanks for any help

Tim

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 11:43 PM

Wireless is inefficient when you have double hop.. that means.. both computers are transferring files over wireless connection because wireless actually must double handle the packets.. so it immediately reduces the speed by 50%.

Let's make sure we are using the right units first.

1. Your download from internet is measured in bits per sec.. please use b for bits.

2. Your transfer of files is measured in Bytes per sec.. please use B for Bytes.

So if you look at activity monitor.. a file copy from computer on wireless to NAS (on ethernet) ran at around 38-40 MBytes/s

User uploaded file

If I transfer to another computer which is also on wireless that speed would be half. Or worse.. (see below even with AC wireless it is dramatically worse) depending on the slowest link.

So how are you measuring the file transfer speed and is it bits or Bytes per sec??

What is the link speed on each computer.

Hold down the option key and click the wireless fan.

User uploaded file

You can see this computer has a link speed of 450Mbps.. it will never transfer files at more than half that but you expect full speed connections to get the best links.

My new computer..

User uploaded file

So if I transfer the file computer to computer it looks like this.

User uploaded file

Even with AC wireless it is much slower than the NAS which has ethernet and spinning drive.. The computer has SSD.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2016 11:43 PM in response to tmoore2310

Wireless is inefficient when you have double hop.. that means.. both computers are transferring files over wireless connection because wireless actually must double handle the packets.. so it immediately reduces the speed by 50%.

Let's make sure we are using the right units first.

1. Your download from internet is measured in bits per sec.. please use b for bits.

2. Your transfer of files is measured in Bytes per sec.. please use B for Bytes.

So if you look at activity monitor.. a file copy from computer on wireless to NAS (on ethernet) ran at around 38-40 MBytes/s

User uploaded file

If I transfer to another computer which is also on wireless that speed would be half. Or worse.. (see below even with AC wireless it is dramatically worse) depending on the slowest link.

So how are you measuring the file transfer speed and is it bits or Bytes per sec??

What is the link speed on each computer.

Hold down the option key and click the wireless fan.

User uploaded file

You can see this computer has a link speed of 450Mbps.. it will never transfer files at more than half that but you expect full speed connections to get the best links.

My new computer..

User uploaded file

So if I transfer the file computer to computer it looks like this.

User uploaded file

Even with AC wireless it is much slower than the NAS which has ethernet and spinning drive.. The computer has SSD.

Slow wifi transfer rates with Airport Extreme network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.