Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import downloaded MP3 audiofiles to Itunes 11.4 (18)?

I downloaded a number of MP3 spoken audio files from the internet to my Macbo to play on the Macbook (OS 10.6.8) and my iPod mini. However, I can't figure out how to get them into my iTunes library. I first tried by selecting File/Add to Library, opening the folder I downloaded them to on my desktop, and selecting each one individually, but when I looked under "Songs" in iTunes, they don't appear as part of my library. Then I tried File/Library/Import Playlist and doing the same thing, but they still don't appear. Then I tried moving the desktop folder to Music/Amazon MP3 (seemed to make sense, since they're MP3 files, though not from Amazon), but that didn't work any better.

To make things even more confusing, when I selected Add to Library or Import Playlist, instead of adding the right songs to iTunes, it added duplicates of some totally unrelated songs that were already in the iTunes library (neither the song nor the album titles bear any resemblance to each other). Would very much appreciate any suggestions!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 8:29 PM

Create a blank playlist. Drag the files to it. If your files are arriving without tags/labels it will be obvious. Remember when doing it this way iTunes puts a copy of the file in the appropriate media folder.

You could also put the files in the Automatically Add To iTunes folder. Any files iTunes rejects will be put in a rejected folder. Others will be added and should show up at the top of the Recently Added playlist.

iTunes 9: Understanding the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832 - Files put into this folder are actually moved from this folder to the correct location in the iTunes Media folder.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2016 8:29 PM in response to Turtlewiz

Create a blank playlist. Drag the files to it. If your files are arriving without tags/labels it will be obvious. Remember when doing it this way iTunes puts a copy of the file in the appropriate media folder.

You could also put the files in the Automatically Add To iTunes folder. Any files iTunes rejects will be put in a rejected folder. Others will be added and should show up at the top of the Recently Added playlist.

iTunes 9: Understanding the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832 - Files put into this folder are actually moved from this folder to the correct location in the iTunes Media folder.

May 2, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks, Limnos--creating a blank playlist and dragging the files worked like a charm. I tried that once before, and don't know why it didn't work that time, but I must have done it differently.

Before doing that, I did go to the support file you suggested for iTunes 9 on "Automatically Add to ITunes." However, I couldn't find anything in my drop-down lists with that designation. I actually have iTunes 11, and it may be that that article doesn't apply to iTunes 11. I'd like to know how to do that because it would save me time (plus, next time I have to do this, I'll probably have forgotten your recommendatioN!). Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks again for solving my problem. (I'll wait a day or so before doing the Correct Answer thing in case that would prevent your replying.)

May 2, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Rysz

Go to the (all) Music view and sort it by Date Added, so the most recently added files are on top. If you don't see the Date Added volume header, right click on any other header, then add it.

Rysz: Thanks for your reply. It didn't solve the how to add files problem I suddenly developed, but it's a very useful idea. The "View by Date Modified" column is always hidden in my playlist windows (small monitor), so I never thought of that as a way of verifying what's on individual playlists/playlist folders.

Is there a way to see a "Date Modified" for all my music at once? When I click on "Music" under Library, I can see the under "Songs" to find songs listed by date last played, but not when "modified" (added). Thanks!

How do I import downloaded MP3 audiofiles to Itunes 11.4 (18)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.