Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad 1 not recognised after update OSX on older mac

I have an imac with an trackpad 1

When the batteries ran out I changed them but the imac2009 no longer connected with the trackpad.

I have tried changing batteries again. And tried connecting to another mac. It worked with the mac mini 2012. It recognised it directly. Other devices connect without a problem with the Imac and the Mac mini 2012

The story continues: When i told the mac mini to forget the trackpad it could no longer be reconnected.

I tried with other trackpad with the same result. I think it started with the latest update of OSX.

Some else has the same problem with the trackpad

Greeting,

David

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), imac 27 inch 2009 also os x 10.11.4

Posted on Apr 25, 2016 11:35 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2016 9:46 AM in response to Doc David

Hello David,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If your trackpad isn't being recognized by your Mac then I suggest that you follow through the steps outlined below:

Your device isn't recognized by your Mac

Follow these steps if your mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't recognized by your Mac.

Make sure your wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad is turned on

The Magic Mouse and Magic Mouse 2 have a slide switch on the bottom of the device. Slide the switch to turn on the device. On the Magic Mouse, the green LED will briefly light up. On the Magic Mouse 2, green will be visible.

The Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 have a slide switch on the back edge of the device. Slide the switch to turn on the device (you'll see green). Earlier Apple Wireless Keyboard models have a power button on the right side of the device. Pressing the button activates a green LED on the top of the device, near the button.

When you turn these devices on, they will appear as Connected in the Bluetooth section of System Preferences. If a device doesn't appear there, make sure it's charged or replace it batteries, and make sure it has been paired with your Mac.

Make sure your device has been set up to work with your Mac

Learn how to pair your Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad 2—and earlier models of Apple wireless devices—with your Mac.

Make sure Bluetooth is turned on

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.

Refer to the table below for more information on determining the Bluetooth status. If the Bluetooth icon doesn't appear, or if the menu bar status continues to indicate that Bluetooth is off, restart your computer and then try to turn Bluetooth on again.

Bluetooth menu icon Bluetooth status
User uploaded file Bluetooth turned on, but there are no devices connected to the Mac. See the Make sure the wireless mouse or keyboard is turned on section of this article.
User uploaded file Bluetooth turned on and at least one wireless device is connected.
User uploaded file When this icon flashes, at least one wireless device has a low battery. Click the Bluetooth icon to identify the affected device, then recharge the device or replace its batteries.
User uploaded file Bluetooth is off. Click the Bluetooth icon using a USB mouse or built-in trackpad and select "Turn Bluetooth On"
User uploaded file Bluetooth is offline or unavailable. Restart your Mac. If the Bluetooth status doesn’t change, disconnect all USB devices and restart your Mac again.

Make sure your devices are charged

Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad 2 have built-in rechargeable batteries. You can charge these devices by connecting them to a Mac or a USB power adapter using a Lightning to USB Cable. For the fastest battery charging performance, be sure your device is switched on when connected to the Lightning to USB Cable.

To check the battery level of these devices, click the Bluetooth icon in your Mac's menu bar, then select your device by name. If the battery level of any device is low, recharge the device. If the device isn’t showing, make sure the device is turned using the steps outlined above.

If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad aren‘t working as expected

Take care.

Apr 27, 2016 10:36 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you for the quick response.

Everything you suggested has being treid and failed. Apple Chat came with same answers.

All the trackpads and keyboard have fresh batteries. And they are working flawlesly with the old Mav mini with OSX 10.7.5

The trackpad did work with the macmini 2012 because it had being paired before. But after disconnecting and restarting the mac mini did not see the trackpad anymore so it could not being paired anymore.

Greeting David

Trackpad 1 not recognised after update OSX on older mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.