Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Ethernet Switches to Airport Extreme 2nd Gen

Hi, help needed!

I have a Sitecom DC227 ADSL Modem feeding my 2nd Gen Airport Extreme.

Until a couple of days ago the 3 LAN ports of the AE were wired to 2 computers (1 iMac and 1 PC) and a Devolo Homeplug. Quite a number of Devolos are around the house connected to TVs, Freeview Boxes, AV Receiver and a couple of Raspberry Pis (for music streaming). The music streaming has been flaky (dropouts), which I have assumed is due to interference on the mains. I have therefore decided to transition to a wired network based on Ethernet switches. I have installed the first switch and the plan is to install a further two, each of the three to be plugged into the LAN ports of the Airport Extreme.

Currently, with one switch installed, only two of the AE's LAN ports are in use. One feeds the Devolo network and the the other feeds the Ethernet Switch (TP-Link 8-port Gigabit Switch - unmanaged). The Ethernet Switch feeds iMac, PC and one of the Raspberry Pis.

Question: have I set things up correctly? I have just plugged things in and hoped for the best.

Problem: the internet speed is sometimes painfully slow, especially when using wireless devices.

Observation: running Fing on my iPad tells me that the Airport Extreme has multiple IP addresses; xx.x.x.103 and xx.x.x.152. I have never, that I can recall, seen this prior to installing the Ethernet Switch.

Hoping someone can give me some guidance.

Cheers

Ifor

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 1:16 AM

10 replies

Apr 26, 2016 2:40 AM in response to Ifor Phillips

Switches are generally transparent devices and no issues at all to install.

But they can preserve IP address that have ceased to be used.. So please before you start worrying about things.. reboot the whole network to clear out old addresses.

We need to know more details.. post the screenshot from airport utility of the AE. Summary page and anything else relevant.

Apr 28, 2016 1:14 AM in response to LaPastenague

One thing I forgot to mention is that the dropouts in the music streaming have not been cured by the wired "solution". Is there any particular order I should reboot the network. Should I power down all computers and wifi devices, or do I only need to power down the Modern, Airport Extreme and Ethernet Switch?

Screen shots below. The wireless clients are one iPad and three iPhones.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 28, 2016 2:13 AM in response to Ifor Phillips

Everything is fine with the setup..

A network reboot is based on shutting down everything.. especially in such a complicated network as yours.. every single item.. unplugged or disconnected or off.

It is important to restart in the correct order.

Your modem is actually the main router.. good or bad I don't know but that is the current setup..

Start up the modem.. wait 2min.

Start up the AE and wait 2min..

Plug all the switches back into operation.. wait 2min.

Plug all the EOP adapters back into operation.. wait 2min.

Plug in all the rest of the network stuff if I missed anything..

It is easy to think.. from the incoming phone cable to the furthest item.. start them in the order they exist from the modem..

Then all the clients..

All clients should have correct IP addresses on the network which you can discover on the sitecom dhcp table.

Everything looks fine. any issues give me specifics.

Apr 29, 2016 4:06 AM in response to LaPastenague

Everything was rebooted in order yesterday evening. No multiple IP addresses showed up in Fing for either the A Extreme or A Express until after one of the three Apple TVs (Devolo served) was rebooted. These multiple IP addresses bug me and there doesn't seem to be an explanation available from anywhere.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The screen shots show 10.0.0.101 active on the ATV as well as being one of three active on the A Extreme. 10.0.0.147 is a mystery; I've no knowledge of it ever being served up to any device.

First thing this morning WiFi was painfully slow again.

Adding Ethernet Switches to Airport Extreme 2nd Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.