Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

X server - black out - will not start shows folder with question mark at boot

Hi all, my name is adam. I don't know if anyone can help me. But I have an apple X server. Been working a treet until one day ago, it's an xserver2,1 ( model ) it has 3x 1tb hard drives installed in the front caddys slot one ( OS X ). The remaining are data NOT IN RAID.

we had a black out few days ago wile I was at work normally the server will just restart. But on this occasion it did not. When I got home to investagate I was presented with a folder with a question mark in it.

so I did the following

1 restarted the X server same result ( but the blue activity lights did not flash like they normally would green lights stay on solid )

2 took the hard drive with the OS X out of the caddy and put into a USB caddy. held down the option key tonboot from usb. The system came to life.

I Went to finder to see in my remaining 2 drive where mounted but nothing

so I opend disk utility still nothing

opend system profiler under hardware raid nothing is there

i have also opend the server case and re seated everything and I mean everything but I did notice a red light comeing from the bottom of the x raid controler

if anyone can help me would be grate

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 3:07 PM

It sounds that you have a dead RAID card - since the Xserve seems operational in all other respects (ie everything works except the drive bays on the front). Although these devices are also notorious for battery failures, so it could just be that.

2 replies

X server - black out - will not start shows folder with question mark at boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.