Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro: MIDI + Audio?

Hi there,

I have a Roland LX-17 digital piano that can transmit/receive MIDI via a USB type-B connection (and also over Bluetooth, but I worry about latency w/ multitracking). And I just bought a 12.9" iPad Pro 🙂 -- my first-ever iPad!

I have a number of music things I'd like to do:

1. Using GarageBand (or another DAW) as a MIDI sequencer to record and playback sounds on the LX-17 piano.
  2. Using GB as a MIDI sequencer again, but this time playing back the piano sound on the LX-17 and other sounds on GB -- is it possible to mix and match like that?
  3. Recording audio from the LX-17 (it has stereo out jacks) and using GB as an multitrack recorder.
  4. Mixing audio from the LX-17 and audio from GB and again using GB as a multitrack recorder (again, is it possible to mix audio sources like that?)

---

Would it work buying an audio interface that supports MIDI, and if so do you have a particular one (ideally under $200) to recommend? (I'm composing music as a hobby, not as a profession 🙂.)

And should I worry that all the audio interfaces I've seen so far that support MIDI use the old 8 pin connectors? I guess I'd just get an 8-pin-MIDI-to-USB adapter?

And lastly, after all of this, would I still need to buy a lightning-to-USB camera cable, or could I just use the same lighting-USB cable that comes with the iPad for charging?

Thanks so much! I'm really new to the iOS world (just got my first-ever iPhone two weeks ago, and the iPad Pro this week!), and I appreciate your guidance 🙂.

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 12:24 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2016 1:15 AM in response to SocialGeek

Hmm, I tried to edit my response above, but I get an error message when I try :\ I had tried to add...

P.S. -- Would something like the iConnectMIDI2+ Lightning Version (wow, what a name!) take care of the audio and bi-directional MIDI transmission? It's the only USB MIDI/audio hardware I've seen that has USB-MIDI (vs. pin-MIDI inputs/outputs), which I'm guessing would work better with what I'm trying to do, right?

D'OH! Nevermind :\. Has USB on the front, but the same pin-MIDI on the back <sigh>. Seems like my idea of bi-directional midi (piano<-->GarageBand) is a pipe dream here, eh? 😟

May 9, 2016 12:02 AM in response to SocialGeek

HI SocialGeek!,

I'm new to the iPad Pro too.

As a musician, I'm gonna tell you what i've discovered.

In order to use an USB audio device, you will have to purchase the brand new Lightning to usb 3.0 cable, which has an usb female port for your device and a lightning port to power the device you've connected. This also charges your iPad at the same time.

I also have the Camera Connection Kit because the cable I've mentioned wasn't available when I purchased my iPad and I thought I could use it to connect my usb audio device, but it was not possible due to the "too much power" alert message.

WIth the CCK cable what is possible is to connect an usb to midi in/out cable. I've used it with an EWi and Garageband and worked fine.

WIth the lightning to usb 3.0 the possibilities are greater, because it acts as a powered usb hub.

My usb audio device is a Zoom R8, which serves as an external audio. card, stereo mic and input for guitar/bass/whatever. It's a fantastic unit for the money. You will also need to put 4 batteries on it although it won't use the batteries, it is a strange setup I've discovered by myself.

I hope it helps!

iPad Pro: MIDI + Audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.