Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Supply for Powermac MDD

Hey all,

I've had a dead Powermac MDD sitting in my room for a couple years now that I picked up for free because it wouldn't turn on. I came to the conclusion it was the PSU, so I took it out and tossed it years ago. Now, here I am, no PSU and a useless MDD.

I really want to get this thing up and running, but seeing the prices of PSU on ebay are absolutely ridiculous. I'm hoping someone here has a working one they are willing to part with and sell to me. (Me pay for the part + shipping). Also would be interested in an OS disk that will work for the machine so I can get her up and running.

PowerMac G4 MDD-OTHER

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:33 AM

If eBay is too much pricing heartburn, try a Mac User GFroup (MUG) in your area. This site will help you locate one:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

Typically, you don't have to physically visit the groups to get help. Many times simply sending a "looking to buy" e-mail to the groups' published addresses will get a response.

The other option is to look for a working MDD and use it for parts. The cost of a cast-off computer may be less than the PSU.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 12:33 AM in response to Xmsteel

If eBay is too much pricing heartburn, try a Mac User GFroup (MUG) in your area. This site will help you locate one:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

Typically, you don't have to physically visit the groups to get help. Many times simply sending a "looking to buy" e-mail to the groups' published addresses will get a response.

The other option is to look for a working MDD and use it for parts. The cost of a cast-off computer may be less than the PSU.

Apr 29, 2016 4:41 PM in response to BDAqua

With all due respect for your excellent and long running work on this forum the link you gave(this time they worked) only showed the correct pinout for an adapter. The problem remains of finding a supply that will fit in the machine and allow the side to be shut. The heat sink is right in front of the power supply that when shut only leaves only a tiny gap. Unless he wants to use an external power supply, he has a major problem with fit. We would have to find him a PS that would fit and have a standard atx pinout. The only other way that I can think would be for him to really mod the machine with water cooling. Some people did it and that might free enough space for a standard square PS if you could route the hoses just right.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/watercooled_MDD_G4/watercooled_mdd_g4.html Even this design would not help him. Notice the shape of the stock apple PS right above the pink tubing.

Power Supply for Powermac MDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.