Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk utility Partition icon greyed

Hello,

I have an external disk drive that I want to format using the GUID table.

I try to to that in may macbook air and the icon is greyed in the disk utility app.

What is strange is that I connect to external drive to a another macbook pro and the icon is enabled and I can access it features.

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 7:19 AM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2016 3:00 PM in response to knwrk

Hello knwrk,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are looking to reformat a HD and use the GUID Partition Map. The following article addresses partitioning a disk and changing the partition map.

Disk Utility (El Capitan): Partition a physical disk

Particularly the following section:

Erase and repartition a device

You can erase all volumes on a device and create new ones. For example, if you want to change the partition map of a USB, Thunderbolt, or other storage device from Master Boot Record to GUID Partition Map. If you simply want to erase a volume, see Erase a volume.

WARNING: Erasing and partitioning a device destroys all data on all volumes of the device.

1. Select the device in the sidebar you want to erase and repartition, then click the Erase button User uploaded file.

Note: You can’t erase the device that contains your startup volume.

2. Enter a name for the initial volume.

3. Click the Map pop-up menu, then choose a format for the initial partition.

For MS-DOS and ExFAT partitions, the name must be eleven characters or less.

• GUID Partition Map: Used for all Intel-based Mac computers.

• Master Boot Record: Used for Windows partitions that will be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT.

• Apple Partition Map: Used for compatibility with older PowerPC-based Mac computers.

4. Click Erase, then click Done.

Best regards.

Apr 28, 2016 5:06 AM in response to jeffd55

Thank your for the answer.

I've gone through the process before your reply.

I formatted the external drive using extFat and Guid Partition Map, so I can use both in on windows and my Mac.

Now I have the following issue :

I tried to encrypt the external hard using the mac and is displays : "The given file system is not supported on Core Storage"

looking at the problem on the net, is seems that I have to use OSX extended journaled. But in that case I won't be able to mount the drive on windows !.

any workaround ?

thanks

disk utility Partition icon greyed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.