Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP LP2475W and displayport -> thunderbolt

Hi there,

I have just switched from a 2009 MBP with a mini displayport connection to a 2014 MBP Retina with two thunderbolt connections.

I have used the external monitor with the Displayport (screen) to mini Displayport (mbp) cable with no problem so far.

Now I have connected the same cable to the new MBP and it does not detect the screen - nothing happens. Tried scaling the resolution, and trying both ports - nothing. Everything that I have read so far states that it should be able to work with this connection.

Is there any trick or another issue I am not aware of? As far as I know thunderbolt should be back-compatible with mini displayport?

Thanks,

Jaka

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Seagate momentus xt 750, 8gigs ram

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 5:55 AM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2016 7:08 AM in response to aerox

If the VGA to MiniDisplayPort dongle dates back to the older Mac, it might not be getting recognized due to older firmware. Back in those days the MiniDisplayPort was only that whereas nowadays as a ThunderBolt port it has enhanced capabilities.

Could meander over to an Apple Store or a friendly distributor and test with a newer dongle. I have one purchased with my Late-2011 MBP that does work fine with the Mid-2015 MBP, but by 2011 the port was already ThunderBolt.

Since the Retinas also have a HDMI output port, there's also an HDMI to DVI converter that will probably give better results and not take up the TB port, in case you need DVI and not VGA.

Apr 26, 2016 1:27 PM in response to Courcoul

Thanks for the help Courcoul 🙂

The monitor has DisplayPort / HDMI / DVI-I inputs.

I haven't had a chance to try if HDMI works today since I did not have the cable in the office, but I will try tomorrow. I did the NVRAM reset too, hope that helps. It would be a pity if I wouldn't be able to use this screen over MDP!

Cheers,

Jaka

May 3, 2016 5:25 AM in response to aerox

So, a bit of an update:

The display works over HDMI, but it is useless - everything is jagged - text, borders, etc. Useless for photography and graphic design.

I am using 1920x1200 or "default for display" and its the same. Scaling down doesn't help either.

MDP connection also doesnt work now after I have reseted NVRAM.

Now I really need your help - I can hardly function without an external monitor for graphic design work.

Jaka

HP LP2475W and displayport -> thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.