Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split Fusion drive

Hi, a client of mine wanted a SSD disk in his iMac 27" and brought the iMac to an Apple repair centre.

They swapped the spinning plate disk with the SSD and when he came to collect his iMac they told him that they also installed a new OSX on the drive.

He thought that all his data was still on the old drive that was taken out of the iMac...

The moment he connected this "old" drive through an external drive bay it said something like "this drive used to belong to a fusion drive and is unreadable do you want to fix it".

It turned out that my client already had a SSD disk inside his iMac that was configured as a fusion drive together with the spinning plate disk.

The guys at Apple changed the spinning plate disk with the SSD and made a fusion drive of the now both SSD disks and installed a clean OSX on them/it.

My question: is there still a way for my client to get a hold on the data that was on the spinning plate disk?

thanks

iMac 27" late 2103, El Capitan OSX 10.11.4

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 7:29 AM

8 replies

Apr 26, 2016 7:50 AM in response to dialabrain

They told my client that it would become "super fast". But my client was unaware of the fact that it already was a hybrid drive...

He had no backup and thought that he could retrieve his data after the replacement as he assumed it was just a "normal" single disk setup.

When i do a scan with data rescue i can see a lot of data that can be rescued but that will become one large pile of files. It would be great if we could at least see the folders as they where on this drive like the actual tree structure (sorry, english is not my native language hope you understand what i mean 😉)

Split Fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.