Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod nano 4g restore failed!

here's the thing. It started about 2 months ago when my ipod would shut down when I'm not using (for example when it's in my pocket) and I'd have to reset it to get it turned on (by holding the center and the menu buttons for 5 secs), and when I did that the apple logo comes on but It would not successfully boot from the the first trial it just freezes on the apple logo till it drains out, and I'd have to keep trying to reset it 4 or 5 times before it actually reboots and I could use it. Then one day the battery drained out and I recharged (I tried recharging from laptop or from the wall) and tried rebooting but never does, it just freezes on the apple logo. it could freeze on the apple logo for 5-6 hours before the battery drains out and I repeat. I called the apple support and they said I should restore it to factory setting through itunes by puting into recovery mode (holding center and menu buttons for 10 seconds) so I did and the itunes detected the ipod in recovery mode and downloaded the new software and restored it, what was supposed to happen next is that the ipod restarts while it's connected to the laptop and then itunes would sync my library, but again IT NEVER ACTUALLY RESTARTS, it just freezes on the apple logo again, I tried repeating the restoring process multiple times but it never works, I even left overnight to reboot while connected to itunes to give it enough time but it doesnt! I tried looking at the properties of the ipod's hard drive (from my computed) and it shows that it's capacity is 15GBs and that only around 500KB are occupied, that means it was whiped off, and also my ipod was named "Teleport" but after the first restore attempt it was changed to "Ipod" so that means everything was deleted, but the new software was not actually downloaded (Although when itunes detects the ipod in recovery mode it's says "version 1.0.4").

any Idea what this cancer is? thank you..

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 8:33 AM

1 reply

Apr 26, 2016 9:20 AM in response to Kr.Mokhtar

iPod's can become faulty and not work properly. And if it's a hardware problem, a Restore is not going to fix it...

restore it to factory setting through itunes by puting into recovery mode (holding center and menu buttons for 10 seconds)

That's actually a regular Reset (restart), not "recovery mode" (also called Disk Mode). This document describes how to put the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

IT NEVER ACTUALLY RESTARTS, it just freezes on the apple logo again

The iPod could have a problem with its flash-based storage, causing the iPod to have data corruption even after doing a Restore. The erase part of the Restore process does seem to work, but iTunes is not able to properly reinstall the iPod's software, so it hangs on the Apple logo when it tries to start up.

It sounds like you use Windows (not a Mac). You can try reformatting the iPod using Windows, like it's a USB flash drive. Put the iPod into Disk Mode, if necessary, to get it to appear in Windows as a USB storage device. When you do the reformat, select FAT32 as the disk format, not NTFS. If there's an option to do a quick format, select the "full" format option. I don't know which version of Windows you use (plus I use a Mac) so I won't provide the detailed steps. There are tutorials for formatting drives in Windows, which you can find with an Internet search.

If you are able to reformat the iPod successfully using Windows, run iTunes. The iPod is completely blank, with no onboard software, so you need to do another Restore on the iPod using iTunes (even if iTunes does not prompt you). Hopefully, the results are different...

Ipod nano 4g restore failed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.